Fly Tying
Corey S

Identify this pattern?

Hello all,

Can anyone identify this fly? It’s a midge emerger tied with a black body and a kind of translucent plastic or glue sheath over the top. My dad and I fished with this the other day and found it to be killer on the tailwater near us— but he has no recollection of where he got the fly. Thanks!

A1124EB7-C691-4F79-9442-FBF194EC7E6D.jpeg

35 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Looks like it's just a black scud imitation.

+1, and I am doing some in black, dark gray and dark olive.... perfect size for the foothills’ ponds in this zone...

Welcome to the forum, Corey S,  

Basically, you take a beaded or non-beaded hook, tie in some wire and a strip of Ziploc bag at the bend, dub to the bead or head, bring the plastic over the fly as a shellback, and rib over the plastic with wire. You can also omit the wire, or rib it first and then make the shellback.

Thanks for the replies you two, not a scud I don’t think— should have mentioned, the fly is more of a size 20-22. Or do you all fish scuds that small?

6 minutes ago, Corey S said:

Thanks for the replies you two, not a scud I don’t think— should have mentioned, the fly is more of a size 20-22. Or do you all fish scuds that small?

I needed a dark one about #20 to match the locals, so thank you...

There are a multitude of traditional nymphs which could be done with shell-backs, with scuds at top of list.  Never used any midges with shellback from  guides I booked, but fished many midges with their stock of flies.  

If you  find the source of this one, let us know.... please 👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

The photo isn't really clear, but it looks like it's got a short flashy shuck (tail) and a spikey dubbed thorax. If they said it was a midge emerger it could be a beadhead wd-40 variant.

25 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

The photo isn't really clear, but it looks like it's got a short flashy shuck (tail) and a spikey dubbed thorax. If they said it was a midge emerger it could be a beadhead wd-40 variant.

I'm with Chug on this one.
I'm curious why the abdomen isn't tapered other than it may have been damaged.
It also looks like a TMC2487 or TMC2457.
The dubbed thorax looks like a synthetic because it is so consistent in length and width of the fibers.
The shuck also looks like a synthetic.

Kimo

I don't tie anything that small, but I'm betting it's more about the color/shape/size than it is about the specifics.  It would be fairly easy use the same color bead and materials and tie up something that looks like that picture.

scud hook

black thread

silver bead

black flexi-floss, span flex, thread, larva lace, floss etc body

black ice dubbing thorax

be creative. experiment

Black-midge.jpg

4 hours ago, flytire said:

scud hook

black thread

silver bead

black flexi-floss, span flex, thread, larva lace, floss etc body

black ice dubbing thorax

be creative. experiment

Black-midge.jpg

Sure looks like a midge pupa to me. Good job, Flytire. I have them in black and olive shades.