Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Grampa

Off to the taxidermy man

You should be able to afford it. A friend of mine is a taxidermist and he charges by the inch.😄

I don't know, Mark ... that's a pretty small Spotted Bass, I think.  Beautiful, but tiny.  I'm not sure any of my bass have been THAT small.  

34 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I don't know, Mark ... that's a pretty small Spotted Bass, I think.  Beautiful, but tiny.  I'm not sure any of my bass have been THAT small.  

Mike, I think he's playing. 

Btw I thought that was a largemouth. I guess not. But yeah, it's pretty. And,  he gave me an idea for a lure.

I caught a small Guadalupe bass the other day. State record for them is only 3.71 pounds. I thought it might have been a Guadalupe fry but I'm not sure.

Looks like a bass - only smaller... My first thought when looking at that photo was that I now have some idea of what it will take to come up with a bug just that size, shape, and color since I know places where bass are forced down into places where big saltwater fish are....  It will need to be on at least a 2/0 hook, maybe bigger... 

I'm pretty sure it's a Spotted Bass fry because of the dark band on the end of the tail.  It could be one of the other bass that aren't Large Mouth or Small Mouth.  There's a few and I've not seen them all.  

Remember fly fishing for smallies back in the 70's when caught one almost 30", but they told me to throw it back because it wasn't big enough nor near 9lbs for a taxidermist to mount !

Kept that small bass in mind for a few weeks then yesterday, while re-cycling some flies for further use I came up with my first baby bass fly - based on one of my clouser variations... Here it is - can't wait to hand it to one of my anglers for some abuse... 

aI7S1Y0.jpg

it's the one in the upper right on a 2/0 hook .... 

For more about re-cycling bugs go here...