Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
landen

Blue grouse flies

does anyone have suggestions on some patterns that could use blue grouse are ruffed grouse feathers. I have two full skins and it looks like just a bunch of big soft hackle on the blue grouse and some smaller ones on the ruffed.

You can use the smaller hackle on a multitude of soft hackle emergers.  Nice jigs and smaller Seaducer-types can use larger grouse collars.  In case of doubt Google a few patterns out. 

I just received very  nice Blue and FC04392C-977A-4B54-8829-F63BFF3E9219.png huge Ruffed grouse skins but have first used a Chukkar that came in same shipment.  Hoping I get more time to play with these soon, started with this one

Krzysztof's Olive Dun

47008586131_6216ea1f59_c.jpg

47008585811_b3c64cf6b5_c.jpg

33133257748_5f5098eb90_c.jpg

Started out as an attempt to come up with a sooty olive; dull dusky grouse (just like a blue) plus bright dye yielded an interesting result.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 pale olive
rib - brassie wire chartreuse
tail - hackle olive
abdomen - tinsel pearl
thorax - peacock herl
hackle - hen grizzly
shoulder hackle - dusky grouse dyed olive (1Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

The larger ones can be used on patterns like in the picture.   If you look up jack gartside soft hackle streamer or perhaps the chickabugger from Cheech at flyfishfood.  Jack’s website is still up,  he had done an article about ringneck pheasant skins and what each specific feather was good for,  its definitely informative reading.   

A10EF60B-21F2-4E66-B2F5-250C29D07E96.jpeg

1 hour ago, petelangevin said:

Along the same line,  the sparrow.

The sparrow is one of my favorite style of flies to tie and to fish.  

Sparrows.jpg

When tying, I try not to get hung up on which type of bird to use or what specific bird's feather a recipe calls for, but rather concentrate on the qualities (stiff, soft, length, markings/pattern) required of the feather.  It simplifies things, in my way of thinking, and I get more mileage out of the materials I have on hand.  This applies to any material in fly tying, IMHO, not just feathers.  

If you browse the Jack Gartside site mentioned above by petelangevin, and read Jack's musings on the nearly limitless uses of a pheasant's skin, you'll see what I mean.    

9 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

You can use the smaller hackle on a multitude of soft hackle emergers.  Nice jigs and smaller Seaducer-types can use larger grouse collars.  In case of doubt Google a few patterns out. 

I just received very  nice Blue and FC04392C-977A-4B54-8829-F63BFF3E9219.png huge Ruffed grouse skins but have first used a Chukkar that came in same shipment.  Hoping I get more time to play with these soon, started with this one

Blue, ruffed and a chukar I'm jealous, I only have a ruffed. Cool looking soft hackle too. SBPatt always wrapping beauties.

13 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Blue, ruffed and a chukar I'm jealous, I only have a ruffed. Cool looking soft hackle too. SBPatt always wrapping beauties.

I have a Sharptail and Gambel’s quail also.  Got an extra Chukar skin, the price was great, so I bought two.  Maybe we could work out a trade.  Still scheming here to learn Kimo’s secret Smallmouth sites.  Supposed to be in Cheyenne in a few weeks to help son in law put up a shop building, and I need to go see Charlie Craven one day... so I may be wandering in your zip code.... 👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

1 hour ago, Flat Rock native said:

I have a Sharptail and Gambel’s quail also.  Got an extra Chukar skin, the price was great, so I bought two.  Maybe we could work out a trade.  Still scheming here to learn Kimo’s secret Smallmouth sites.  Supposed to be in Cheyenne in a few weeks to help son in law put up a shop building, and I need to go see Charlie Craven one day... so I may be wandering in your zip code.... 👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Well, I'm  not one to easily give up a spot,but.....  If you wander down here, definitely let me know. As for a trade I'm always game.

7 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Well, I'm  not one to easily give up a spot,but.....  If you wander down here, definitely let me know. As for a trade I'm always game.

Message me and I will send spare Chukar now for a player to be named Later...

How about ruffed grouse?

Hook: Dai Riki 270, size 12

Thread: 6/0 Uni Chartreuse

Tail: ruffed Grouse

Rib: Red wire, small

Body: Uni Stretch Chartreuse

Dub: Ice Dub Blue Steelie

Collar: Ruffed Grouse

SHHAN

grouseandChartreuse.jpg

A Yardbird GreenBlack Deluxe edition is on horizon, but my Ruffed Grouse is on back order.  Great twisting on that nice feather. 

Will this be for a Green Drake hatch?

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

How about ruffed grouse?

Hook: Dai Riki 270, size 12

Thread: 6/0 Uni Chartreuse

Tail: ruffed Grouse

Rib: Red wire, small

Body: Uni Stretch Chartreuse

Dub: Ice Dub Blue Steelie

Collar: Ruffed Grouse

SHAAN

That's purty, there's a lot of purty stuff here.