Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
landen

Blue grouse flies

Mark, Thank you.

Flat Rock native. Not intentionally. Saw a grouse and pink on Blue Ribbon Flies and since all I had was the grouse I modified it. Though since you mention it I just might fish it when the drakes are ready

Mark, help me buy a White-Tailed Ptarmigan skin or two and I will run ya a dozen or more killer soft hackles

59 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Mark, help me buy a White-Tailed Ptarmigan skin or two and I will run ya a dozen or more killer soft hackles

You want a white one or a dark one? I might know a guy.

11 minutes ago, petelangevin said:

What do they look like?

What do what look like? The guy I know that might have some ptarmigan? He looks pretty shady. 😋

1 minute ago, petelangevin said:

Ptarmigan never seen them,  used similar to grouse/pheasant?

Google it, they are in the grouse family, brown in summer, white in winter.

44 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

What do what look like? The guy I know that might have some ptarmigan? He looks pretty shady. 😋

They are actually one of the larger quail species... 3 kinds are native to North America, as I recall...  

Edit-May have ...Got it wrong, called a snow quail, they are the SMALLEST of the GROUSE family per Wiki...

0E12BAD1-0D54-4612-87BC-FC87E75D23DA.jpeg

A4F85A8D-181A-4312-8A54-006B78507A42.jpeg

Sorry for getting thread away from Blue Grouse patterns, Sir landen.... will find you another pattern and post up...

On 4/29/2020 at 6:44 PM, landen said:

does anyone have suggestions on some patterns that could use blue grouse are ruffed grouse feathers. I have two full skins and it looks like just a bunch of big soft hackle on the blue grouse and some smaller ones on the ruffed.

If you go to Hans Weilenmann’s flytiers pages and enter grouse, it will pop about 8 nice patterns with photos and recipes.  The very nice photos there are seriously copyrighted , and I hesitate to re-post such material, although there may be a “fair use” exception for educational reasons.  Also, I have much respect for Hans and the hard work he did to build that site...

15 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

They are actually one of the larger quail species... 3 kinds are native to North America, as I recall...  

Edit-May have ...Got it wrong, called a snow quail, they are the SMALLEST of the GROUSE family per Wiki...

No, (sorry buddy) they are in the grouse family.... a medium-sized gamebird in the grouse family (wikipedia). Ours in Alaska are pretty big, the same size as ruffed grouse and spruce grouse. Rock ptarmigan are the smaller of the three ptarmigan species, about the size of a Hungarian partridge, but white tail and willow ptarmigan are nice sized birds, the skin would be bigger than a Hungarian partridge.