Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Nets coming along

16 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Bryon, I enjoy seeing your progress with the net making. Thanks for the updates. Also really like the pyro......... wood burning. I often thought about buying a good wood burning set just to keep the hands busy. Great work. 

Thanks Poopdeck -- I would  love to learn pyrography myself; I tried it but lacked the patience. It is a really cool art form.

You can buy wood burning sets pretty cheaply or use a soldering iron with a tip you don't care to much about on it. I lack the kind of creativity required for any kind of drawing or artistic painting.

Yeah me to. I draw like I have ten thumbs. This is the extent of my pryography, shou sugi ban finish on a balcony bar top I made for my daughter. I burned with propane weed burner. No fine lines.

bar top1.jpg

bar_top.jpg

20 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Yeah me to. I draw like I have ten thumbs. This is the extent of my pryography, shou sugi ban finish on a balcony bar top I made for my daughter. I burned with propane weed burner. No fine lines.

bar top1.jpg

Watch out Poopdeck.  This is how it all starts.  Something you think is simple now, then you are awake at night drawing out plans for what's next.  The next thing you know, years have gone by and you need a bigger workshop to hold all those tools you have accumulated.

Michael

Hello Bryon,

Your nexts are exquisite in materials and in form.  They have a wonderful elegance to them.  You have given me something to strive for.  

I had an opportunity to take some time on a remote pond and put my new net to the test.  I think it did alright.  Funny how it works out.  They changed the regs this year to nothing over 12".  It has been years since I've caught anything over 10".  Everything I caught that day was in the 14-15" class.  Go figure.

Michael

thumbnail-42.thumb.jpeg.95edfe0f36c8105af7d7cc823d68d998.jpegthumbnail-43.thumb.jpeg.649740dac142c3b53ab1056765e61be3.jpeg 

thumbnail-42.jpeg

2 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

Hello Bryon,

Your nexts are exquisite in materials and in form.  They have a wonderful elegance to them.  You have given me something to strive for.  

I had an opportunity to take some time on a remote pond and put my new net to the test.  I think it did alright.  Funny how it works out.  They changed the regs this year to nothing over 12".  It has been years since I've caught anything over 10".  Everything I caught that day was in the 14-15" class.  Go figure.

Michael

thumbnail-42.thumb.jpeg.95edfe0f36c8105af7d7cc823d68d998.jpegthumbnail-43.thumb.jpeg.649740dac142c3b53ab1056765e61be3.jpeg 

thumbnail-42.jpeg

Nice catch and a beautiful net to land them in, Michael! I'm glad I could be of help. You gave me some good ideas along the way, as well. 🙂

The net building has been coming along pretty nicely, if I say so myself. I have a deal in place to start selling some on a website owned by my friend who does the lovely woodburning art for me (www.5thseasonmi.com). There should be some of my nets up on there in a week or so -- the website also has a lot of very cool Michigan-inspired art --both "art-art" and "usable art". I've now done two custom nets (one for a forum member) to good reviews, and would consider doing more. Thanks again to everyone here for your support and advice! 

20200802_191219.jpg

20200719_223624.jpg

20200727_175054.jpg

20200727_180116_(1).jpg

20200727_174506.jpg

20200727_174250.jpg

20200727_174047_(1).jpg