Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Nets coming along

Great work, Bryon, the frame is beautiful.  I have a question, though: why a mesh net instead of a rubber net?   I ask because this year I converted an old tennis racket frame into a rubber landing net and will never go back. So many fewer foul hooks in the net, especially when using barbless hooks.  I rarely have to remove a hook from a fish (or the net).  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Great work, Bryon, the frame is beautiful.  I have a question, though: why a mesh net instead of a rubber net?   I ask because this year I converted an old tennis racket frame into a rubber landing net and will never go back. So many fewer foul hooks in the net, especially when using barbless hooks.  I rarely have to remove a hook from a fish (or the net).  

Thanks Niveker -- I've been using the mesh nets for several reasons. I prefer them for my own fishing because they are lighter than the rubber ones and, to my eye, more traditional-looking, which I like. I have never had a problem with hooks getting stuck in the mesh.

The mesh ones also come in smaller sizes that fit traditional smaller trout nets, which, so far as I've been able to find, the rubber nets do not. Commercially made nets seem to have gotten bigger over the past few years.

All that being said, I fully expect that I will have to start building frames to fit the rubber net bags if I want to sell nets, because the rubber ones are all the rage now and people expect to see them on new nets.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.