Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

I'm going to tie a Royal Wullf once I get my school work done. I will post pictures when its done!

Thanks mogup & FR, and yeah, nice quill would be understated. My wife even liked it.

9 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

Patt, Chug, and Mogup just made my day, after crazy life in our little world.  I prescribe more vise therapy for myself next two days.. and some 🍺With these and TSMcDougal’s evil twinning I have inspiration overload.. Thanks flymen!

👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Vise therapy rocks!  "be the vise, be the fly"

2 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

Can you share some of that inspiration? I sat down at the vise yesterday and after 20 minutes realized I couldn't think of a thing to tie.😝

Hate to say it but that happens to me too sometimes.  When it does, I force myself to work on a particular technique. Like tying wings for a no hackle. All I do is the wings, over and over till I'm satisfied. or wrapping soft hackles, or working on dubbing loops. I don't care about a particular fly/pattern, just a technique.  Often I'll go through my copy of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference, it's chock full of stuff to work on.

6 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Hate to say it but that happens to me too sometimes.  When it does, I force myself to work on a particular technique. Like tying wings for a no hackle. All I do is the wings, over and over till I'm satisfied. or wrapping soft hackles, or working on dubbing loops. I don't care about a particular fly/pattern, just a technique.  Often I'll go through my copy of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference, it's chock full of stuff to work on.

Yeah, I may work on quill wings. That is one technique that I have yet to get right.

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

Yeah, I may work on quill wings. That is one technique that I have yet to get right.

Warning, they can be addictive.... but I will look forward to results... no hurry... but we only have 24 days left on this thread😁

6 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

couldn't think of a thing to tie

Books help

Go page by page through one of the month's "Flies from the bench".  With dozens of patterns represented, seems one could be inspirational.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

Ausable-Bomber-1080.jpg

Ausable Bomber

Tail - Woodchuck

Wing - Calf tail

Hackle - Brown and grizzly

Body - Rusty orange dubbing

Tying note: If a wire rib is your thing, then add it to your fly

Very neat. Good job- thanks for posting.

Someone asked for something called a soft hackle dry.  Didn’t come out too bad...  looks good floating in the water.  Was tough doing both soft hackle and dry fly hackle on the same fly.  

2B3A4F55-B038-4DD8-B892-D77FF3A3387D.jpeg

F460117A-B8E0-4795-9CE1-9D04A86C817E.jpeg

9859C3D1-5087-4D1A-8B05-88AC97CEE763.jpeg

E385F17C-B013-4579-AA5B-0D1FC8184AB3.jpeg

35 minutes ago, TIER said:

no. i have no presence on youtube. i only watch videos, not create them.

proper equipment too expensive for me.

i'd have to work on a whole new set of skills before i'd ever post a video

this is my site 

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/