Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

1 minute ago, Kimo said:

Latex Scud, Orange/Pink
Variation for a friend

98004024_3285524458125506_29014692284417

Kimo

Wow. Just wow you sure your not pulling these off the river bottom?

7 hours ago, RexW said:

Thanks Flytire.  I have another version of this pattern's recipe that uses Hare's Ear for the body and the tag goes from the barb to the point.  I may try that version next. 

It has been both fascinating and frustrating how a seemingly subtle change such as using medium size tinsel instead of small size makes a big difference in the final "look" of the fly.  I have a lot of respect for the folks that are good at this style of tying.   But these flies are fun to tie.  :) 

Hi RexW,

Norm's suggestion about Hare's ear is good since the general color is pretty good for a March Brown. I just finished mowing and made this up in case you or anyone else was wondering what a mixture of silver monkey and seal fur looked like for dubbing. I used the brown part of fur from the monkey and mixed regular brown and tan seal to get this. Taken in natural light.

Regards,

Mark

IMGP1239.thumb.JPG.904cd2813a914af5f72a33e89e97f36a.JPG

Mark, you find some of the weirdest materials...fantastic.

I love the snipe and purple.  I love soft hackles for trout.

14 hours ago, mvendon said:

Hi RexW,

Norm's suggestion about Hare's ear is good since the general color is pretty good for a March Brown. I just finished mowing and made this up in case you or anyone else was wondering what a mixture of silver monkey and seal fur looked like for dubbing. I used the brown part of fur from the monkey and mixed regular brown and tan seal to get this. Taken in natural light.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, you really have monkey fur? or did I miss the something somewhere?

7 hours ago, Mogup said:

Snipe & Purple 

That's a sweet looking fly, Mogup.  Peacock for the thorax?

1 minute ago, niveker said:

Mark, you really have monkey fur? or did I miss the something somewhere?

Sure ! It's from an old collection from someone in California. It's mostly called for in salmon type flies. It came with a bunch of other fur that I was after on eBay. When I read the pattern recipe, it got me curious to see why they would use that material instead of something else. If you use the wrong part, the dubbing  wouldn't have looked anything like that either since most of the fur is silvery grey in color.

Regards,

Mark

52 minutes ago, niveker said:

That's a sweet looking fly, Mogup.  Peacock for the thorax?

Thanks niveker and yes that’s peacock.  Sometimes I use ice dub as well for the thorax and it works pretty well.

1 hour ago, DarrellP said:

Mark, you find some of the weirdest materials...fantastic.

I love the snipe and purple.  I love soft hackles for trout.

Thanks DarrellP

Got an order for 26 walleye flies hopefully they all turn out good. Also here is a size 10 hopper pattern 

20200517_092821.jpg

20200516_192604.jpg

2 hours ago, mvendon said:

Sure ! It's from an old collection from someone in California. It's mostly called for in salmon type flies. It came with a bunch of other fur that I was after on eBay. When I read the pattern recipe, it got me curious to see why they would use that material instead of something else. If you use the wrong part, the dubbing  wouldn't have looked anything like that either since most of the fur is silvery grey in color.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, thank you.  This is extremely useful.   

The recipe was taken from Frodin's book:  "Body:  Silver monkey's fur and a little dirty-orange seal's fur, mixed together".

Based on that description, I was expecting more of gray-brown color, but your example is very tan colored.  Thanks again for the help.