Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WWKimba

Clouser Clones

Back in 2006 Richard A. Lewis wrote an article for the Fly Anglers Online site entitled "Tying Deep Minnow Clones" (www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/030606fotw.php).  He was trying to show a Clouser based fly but with some advantages of using kink shanked (popper) hooks instead of a normal streamer hook.  (Mustad's 33903 was an example used.)  It's a great read of a very good idea.

The one thing I thought of is that the 33903 actually has TWO kinks in it, one up and one down.  Being cheap, I mean FRUGAL, I said why not tie TWO sized flies using a single sized hook.  Mr. Lewis used the front kink in his design and he explained the reasons in that fine article.  What I do is also use the back kink to tie a size bigger fly.  The one additional step I take is to mostly fill in the kink with the same sewing thread he mentions as a base for the eyes.  By filling in back crook/kink MOSTLY in accomplishes getting the eyes in a spot where the fly still fishes hook up.

If you're worried with short hits that's why the fishing gods invented stinger hooks.  Just figured I'd share the thought as well as the fine article.

This is repeated in the Beginners Tying section as well.  They say thanks and ask questions while the more senior members like to discuss - I like both!

I tie Clouser Minnows on straight shank plastic worm hooks, as I do fish large flies. This is generally sizes 1/0 & larger, as smaller sizes can be difficult to find. Also tie smaller sizes and use a variety of hooks. 

Some of the worm hooks have small barbs on the shank, intended for keeping the plastic baits from sliding down, but they also aid in positioning barbell eyes. 

I used the Mustad 3366 and 33900 & 33903 for many years, for streamers & poppers, and eventually went to "better" hooks as I got into commercial tying. Nothing wrong with those older styles, particularly since they're usually less costly, but they need to be sharpened. I caught a lot of bass and panfish on those hooks. 

I've never had any concerns for short strikes. It will happen, but not enough to warrant adding a stinger hook. I'm not that concerned about "catching" that I need to add multiple hooks. I don't even use stinger hooks with lures and am getting away from using treble hooks too.

For the fishing that I've done and places I've fished, a second hook caused too many snagged flies and caught too much debris to make them worth while. They also often end up in the fish when they're hooked on the front hook, and I prefer to minimize the damage. I've seen too many guys end up with them in their flesh too as a fish they were trying to land or unhook flopped around, and I don't want damage to me either.

I've seen similar downsides as well.  I also don't tie stingers for your reasons plus I'm old and lazy!  The comment was to quiet anyone who would worry about such matters.

Thanks for your comments tidewater.

It is easy enough to add a stinger while fishing, if needed.  Sometimes you need one.  Just keep a couple octopus hooks handy in your box. And use your stiff leader material. 

Also there not that hard to tie into flies. I just take around a 10-20 pound mono and snell a size 6 hook. After that just tie it in from the front.