Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Mayfly I.D. Please

When returning home tonight from a lovely bike ride I had this hitchhiker aboard.  Can any one I.D. ?   It’s about a size 14.

4D3BBAEC-EF4D-41E5-A4E9-5BC4213E9758.jpeg

Definitely not a Slate Drake.   The hook recommended for them is a size 12 2XL.  Other names for them is a White Glove Howdy and the Lead Wing Coachman and the two sets of back legs are usually white.  What's really frustrating is I'm looking at the cover of "Trout Stream Insects", an Orvis Streamside Guide, and the mayfly on the cover is a pretty close match but they don't identify the damn thing.   Body appears dark olive and the wings appear to be a light olive though that could be the background.  This is the closest one I could find called a Large Dark Olive.  It's size 14.  Problem is it's the most common mayfly in Norway and seems be a European mayfly rather than one found in New England.

Male dun of Baetis rhodani

Someone mention to me a blue quill !  Which I had never heard of before but after looking it up it come

I’m thinking that’s it .

FC52748B-F748-4B8A-8093-49565EC63293.jpeg

Thank you flytire. I believe it’s a male Blue Quill spinner.

Thanks for the link, flytire.   My sister has a place in VT and it should be useful in tying flies for my niece and her husband who are living there.

If you found this mayfly on a muddy / silty bottomed  stream then I’m gonna say it is a black quill.  If it was clear sandy or rocky bottom then ignore my response.

19 hours ago, Philly said:

The hook recommended for them is a size 12 2XL.  

The size of slate drakes (iso's) varies a lot.  They may be as large as a size 12 early in the season, but later size 14 is a better match.

The green background makes it hard to see colors, but my first thought was BWO, but at that size I would agree with blue quill.