Fly Tying
samsonboi

Ekich Ultimate Bobbin review

Never tried the no ride one but I do like the ekich.  It does take a while to get use to.  can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut off the thread to watch the spring suck it right back to the spool. I rarely do that now.   

The only complaint I have is with the o-ring that holds the spool tight. Some spools are too lose.  Thinking cheap spools are held to a tight inside hole tolerance is wishful thinking,  sometimes I have to use a different o-ring

34 minutes ago, rscconrad said:

Never tried the no ride one but I do like the ekich.  It does take a while to get use to.  can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut off the thread to watch the spring suck it right back to the spool. I rarely do that now.   

The only complaint I have is with the o-ring that holds the spool tight. Some spools are too lose.  Thinking cheap spools are held to a tight inside hole tolerance is wishful thinking,  sometimes I have to use a different o-ring

Did lubing the ring help at all?

BTW, it is not that hard to spin the Ekich bobbin. All you have to do is hold the tube rather than the body and roll it in your fingers. Also the A seems like it balances much better than the S in the pictures.

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

BTW, it is not that hard to spin the Ekich bobbin. All you have to do is hold the tube rather than the body and roll it in your fingers. Also the A seems like it balances much better than the S in the pictures.

I put a 3/4 inch piece of vinyl junction tubing over the snout and it spins like a dream, balance is good.  Same with Rite bobbins, some others,  will post a picture if I am not making this very clear...

I don't like the rite bobbins. It needs a support to grasp. I used one once, and hated it. I need it to have a frame, like the Ekich bobbin or a standard or Norvise bobbin. It needs at least a little protrusion to make it any good. But I get your drift. Interesting idea,