Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Keeping busy during corona.

Not sure how it is where you are but here in metro boston we are under mandatory masks and all businesses except essential are closed until June perhaps later.   What are you doing to stay busy.   

I just finished building and sanding a new gate for my mother in laws driveway.   Disclaimer i am not a carpenter but i know how to use a tape measure and saw.    She is getting this for mother’s day,   Best part,  it was all reclaimed wood saved by my late father in law.   Going to prime it.   Later on in week.   Then paint.    Its definitely solid.    I am pleased so far.

92275EA0-CB5E-4223-B3F9-15A29CB86B58.jpeg

C427E35B-7B28-47F4-A07F-71D55172B719.jpeg

EF01DF1A-1F41-4A64-931E-A3B9C6CBBF1D.jpeg

That's looking pretty good. I have two old brass lamps I want to paint and get new shades for since they look a bit aged.

Here in Pa we are like you but I can fish and golf courses just opened up. Went out yesterday for the first time in 8 weeks after rebuilding my swing in the downtime. I've been tying fly's and jigs. Just finished Deep Space Nine on Hulu. Also working on a mobile/PC game i'm making through Unity. I still go to work for 4 days then work at home for 4 days and repeat. So, I have a lot of time on my hands. 

👍👍I like to hear anything about re-cycling and repurposing such resources. Sturdy work there.

I am setting up my watercraft for use real soon though we had a small snowstorm today.  No kayaking on Tuesday now.  Also researching a replacement towing vehicle.... 

Mark back in the day it was to keep the kids in,  now its 3 ankle biters.   But the old gate was 20+ years old.   This one with primer and paint should last at least 10 years.

38 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

👍👍I like to hear anything about re-cycling and repurposing such resources. Sturdy work there.

I'm with ya!  Best thing about all this free time , you get to rummage through the garage and use all the material saved for some purpose undefined.  For most projects, I cop out and hit the store or lumber yard to save time.  Can't justify that now, even went through the bins of odd nuts, bolts, screws, etc and made use of 'em.

Garage is lookin' tidy after finally using so much of what I horded and salvaged over the years.  Still some items for which I can't remember why I saved them, but time will tell if they have a use.

1 hour ago, knotjoe said:

I'm with ya!  Best thing about all this free time , you get to rummage through the garage and use all the material saved for some purpose undefined.  For most projects, I cop out and hit the store or lumber yard to save time.  Can't justify that now, even went through the bins of odd nuts, bolts, screws, etc and made use of 'em.

Garage is lookin' tidy after finally using so much of what I horded and salvaged over the years.  Still some items for which I can't remember why I saved them, but time will tell if they have a use.

👍👍

Nice gate. Making something always gives me a far greater satisfaction over buying something. My wife thinks the opposite. I have been building shelves for a friend and barn door style closet doors for my wife. The shelves are from the closet door cutoffs. The doors are done but im waiting for consistently warmer temps before I finish them. I do want them out of my shop though. Seems like spring wants to stay damp and cold in my parts this year. 

I have never been so caught up on my yard work and so behind in my fishing. I've washed, waxed, shampooed and armor alled all four of my cars. I've powerwashed my house, driveway and walks. I serviced every gas engine in my shed, I made a couple of anchors and modified one three times. I'm hoping there's a charm.   I learned to use my wife's sewing machine and made myself a few face masks that provide full beard coverage, I have more flies then I know what to do with and I just poured another hundred ultra minnow jig heads that I won't need anytime soon. I'm running out of things to do. Right now I'm contemplating buffing my boat out to an airstream finish. In the meantime i think I will go bank fishing for some stripers. So far the bank has not been kind to me but perhaps that changes today. 

Gate came out nice looking nice work. Been doing work around the yard lately myself to keep busy. Just rearranged the shed the other day, gonna do some more yard work later this week. Probably won't have to do it for much longer, things should start opening back up here before too long. Been locked down for almost 2 months so I think everyone in my state (Michigan) has just about gone as far as they can/are willing to go so no matter what our Gov says we are starting to say enough is enough.

I’ve been cooped up since late February when i was hospitalized for pneumonia (md now thinks i was one of the earliest corona cases in the area but never was tested).  The mrs is being protective as she is in health care and does not want me ill again.   I had to get outside and do something productive.    I feel stronger but still not myself.   My daughter is going to paint it and we will put it up this weekend.    

I just took my time and i am pleased with it so far.

be safe everyone.

You've definitely got enough wood to make it sturdy.

I've only been on furlough for one week.  (This is the second week)  Been fishing most of those days, so, not much else done.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this