Fly Tying
petelangevin

Keeping busy during corona.

Agreed ... with that coat of paint, it looks like a GATE.  Very nicely done.

I finally finished construction of my wife's barn doors for our entry closet. Now trying to decide on a stain. Think we are going with Classic gray. 

barn doors.jpg

Love the doors Greg. I know gray would match the walls for sure, but man I tell ya I don't think I could resist a real nice walnut stain on those beauties if they were mine :)

Blond.  I love wood grain and color, if it's not too dark.  Too dark, and the grain detail is lost.  Shame to hide that wood under paint, if you ask me.

No paint, classic gray or weathered gray stain. I'm not a fan of rustic but it's what the wife and her designer wanted. I like straight grains like cherry and despise grainy woods like oak and pine. My home is best described as modern or mid century modern but they wanted a touch of rustic. I've learned over the years to trust the designers vision. The only barn door style doors I could find large enough for the closet were $800.00 each. I wasn't about to spend 1600.00 on pine barn doors that didn't actually open to a barn. I ended up finding a load of 5" pine cutoffs ripped off of 12" wide planks that the mill wanted to move. They tongue and grove milled what I needed for the doors for a total of $260.00. They also threw in the rest of the the cutoffs so I have about a dozen 10' by 5" by 7/8" pine boards I have to figure out what to do with. I used some to make baker rack shelves for a friend but I may just burn the rest in the fire pit. 

great work poopdeck,  here is the gate up and in place finally.  And just in time for a possible may snow storm.   

AEFFA75B-E09C-46CF-8163-C31AA53E1060.jpeg

3DBA672A-CCE5-4458-B558-A7322D593C49.jpeg

18 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I finally finished construction of my wife's barn doors for our entry closet. Now trying to decide on a stain. Think we are going with Classic gray. 

Those are very nice. I'm with you, We did a "weathered" gray stain on the paneling I made for our show room. We always get good comments on it.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Those are very nice. I'm with you, We did a "weathered" gray stain on the paneling I made for our show room. We always get good comments on it.

Beetle killed pine gives the gray look, makes great t & g panels.  Clear finish or wax, and billions of board feet are Free for the taking or cheap, if milled.  FYI

Fits like a glove Pete. Time for a new project, what's next. I know I'm running out of things to do and I have more flies and jigs then I'll use this year. Our state joke, I mean governor, just extended his order till June 4th at which time I'm sure he will extend it again. This insanity has to end. Flounder opens on the 22nd, maybe I'll try to get some off the beach. 

I finally found the perfect use for a front loading washing machine because they suck at washing clothes. A cast iron umbrella base, an old fence post welded to a hunk of plate steel bolted to the bottom of a stainless steel washing machine drum. Fire pit crossed off the list. 

firepit.jpg

firepit2.jpg

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I finally found the perfect use for a front loading washing machine because they suck at washing clothes. A cast iron umbrella base, an old fence post welded to a hunk of plate steel bolted to the bottom of a stainless steel washing machine drum. Fire pit crossed off the list. 

Great idea and look.

That does make an interesting burn barrel.  Didn't even have to drill any air flow holes!

I like it.