Fly Tying
petelangevin

Keeping busy during corona.

Yeah the base was a must as I wanted the top of the pit at eye level when seated so the smoke goes over everybodies head and we're not choking on smoke. 

No projects quite like Poopdeck's or Pete's, but I haven't been tying much at all.  I am trying to paint watercolors.  I did this just after college for a few years, and finally decided to do some again.  I have to paint in the same closet as my fly tying setup, so I can't do both.  Fishing and travel is shut down for now, so its a good time to start re-learning something eles. 

Fake_Desert_2crop.JPG

That looks sweet.  Like Steeldrifter said, I;ve seen them used as fire-pits before, but the pedestal/base is a great innovation.  

5 hours ago, utyer said:

No projects quite like Poopdeck's or Pete's, but I haven't been tying much at all.  I am trying to paint watercolors.  I did this just after college for a few years, and finally decided to do some again.  I have to paint in the same closet as my fly tying setup, so I can't do both.  Fishing and travel is shut down for now, so its a good time to start re-learning something eles. 

Fake_Desert_2crop.JPG

If I could paint I probably wouldn't be messing around with old washing machine tubs. That's a great skill you have. 

1 hour ago, niveker said:

That looks sweet.  Like Steeldrifter said, I;ve seen them used as fire-pits before, but the pedestal/base is a great innovation.  

The best part is I can pull the fire pit out and still use the cast iron base to hold an umbrella. 

Finally got the door hardware! Doors finished and installed. Another project checked off the list. Had a little time to make revision #4 (I think) to my light weight anchor. If this doesn't work I'm going back to the heavy bastard. Next up a mini Santa Maria style grill to go with my fire pit, a welding table and then the long awaited total redo of my boat interior complete with electronics.  Also trying  to decide if we're going to have a new double wide driveway put in or a roof over my patio next up on the old homestead.  

barndoors.jpg.421f7715f217ab9f9f8523b8e07d12c9.jpg

anchor4.jpg

It holds, finally, however, heavy spring flows are over but I'm very pleased with its hold and it should be fine next spring. Time to make a couple or three back ups. 4 stripes today biggest 23". I'd say the run has just about played its hand as it's mostly small fish left. 

New light fixture, a throw rug and some art work and the entrance way is officially done. This completes all the heavy lifting and my entire house has been remodeled top to bottom and I'm done with home improvement projects forever! I do have to work on the patio and driveway but those will be payed jobs. Just in time with all the ramps now open and my county expected to finally go "green" on Friday I'm hoping this is my final corona lockdown post. Keeping my fingers crossed but I'm getting a haircut first thing Friday and I'm going out to dinner because the virus rates are going to climb and I fear a 2nd wave of insanity. 

ent2.jpg

ent1.jpg

Yeah I like the doors a lot but they were a pain in the arse to build. Both are 84" by 40" and my shop is a fully appointed wood shop and a minor league metal shop in a one car garage. Building the doors took every available square inch of space along with a lot of jockeying around of tools and material. They don't make barn doors this size but a set that would have worked would have cost $800.00 a piece. It cost me a little under 300.00 dollars in material to make both doors so the aggravation of building them in a small shop was worth it. 

On 6/7/2020 at 11:39 AM, Poopdeck said:

Yeah the base was a must as I wanted the top of the pit at eye level when seated so the smoke goes over everybodies head and we're not choking on smoke. 

Nice work sir!