Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Some good looking hackle !!!

The subject of hackle has been bandied about a bit as of late so here’s a pic I took a few years ago after attending

the fly tying emporium down in Jersey where I had a nice chat with Charlie Collins.

CEE7BFC4-4263-41A7-8C56-6EE8A87565A8.jpeg

These are commercial grades !  and I not going to say what I got them for but I will say I consider it one of my best fly tying buys.

I too dig the Collins hackle.  My last order in late February was Dark Barred Ginger and Dark Dun and they are really nice. I like the ones above too.  Will be tying some Parachutes in a short bit with them so your topic was timely.

Take care

Those colors are really nice, aren't they. What's the basic size range of a Collins commercial grade neck, if you don't mind my asking... And do they tie on dries better than Keough & Metz?

I have 4 of the commercial ones from a while back, great feathers for the price, I wouldn't mind grabbing a couple of his higher grade ones but I almost entirely tie for swaps these days especially when it comes to drys as i have very little opportunity to pursue trout.

Chug i think with the lowest grades I could tie just about any size dry I felt like, they're slightly less nice than my whiting high and dry imo, but not much.

3 hours ago, Mogup said:

These are commercial grades !  and I not going to say what I got them for but I will say I consider it one of my best fly tying buys.

Why not? Expense was a major contributor to the bandied about conversation. In fact it was the main point. 

Okay Poopdeck I got them at a show price for 15.00 each !

1 minute ago, Flat Rock native said:

oof

On his website he has them priced at $20 or four for $60 (but he gets to pick the color) so that is not too far off. I am thinking I'll will check into getting some in the next month or so. I wonder how they are to tie with?

Edited by TSMcDougald
Additional comment