Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Some good looking hackle !!!

Chugbug.  Sz 12 to 22 at least.

They tie very nicely . The stem is thin and pliable.  I haven’t tied with Metz in a longtime and never have tried Keough.

They definitely tie much better than the old Metz.   The capes are small and you don’t have the hackle length of the whiting

line but you get some great colors. The dark barred dun in the picture is one of my favorite capes. It really ties a buggy fly.

If someone was lean on cash and they wanted to get into dries but didn’t know how I would steer him or her 100% to the Collins line. 

2 hours ago, petelangevin said:

Did the commercial grade necks come with their saddles too?

Pete no saddles with the commercial grades and the saddles to be honest are nothing to write home about.

46 minutes ago, TSMcDougald said:

On his website he has them priced at $20 or four for $60 (but he gets to pick the color) so that is not too far off. I am thinking I'll will check into getting some in the next month or so. I wonder how they are to tie with?

Let us know, seems to be many happy customers on this site.... For once, I am restraining myself from buying on the internet machine.... not sure such restraint will last.

10 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Let us know, seems to be many happy customers on this site.... For once, I am restraining myself from buying on the internet machine.... not sure such restraint will last.

If you buy directly from him you've gotta write a check and a note and put it in the mail.

When I ordered from him I got the 4 for 60$ deal I wanted just 1 specific color maybe 2 and asked if he could give me just that one I got what I wanted and a note saying he was happy to help, I've heard of him telling people there's no asking too probably just depends on his mood and how busy he is.

Thanks guys. Fits the bill mechanically, sounds like, and those colors / textures look really great. I'll have to give Collins a try next purchase.

10 hours ago, Mogup said:

Okay Poopdeck I got them at a show price for 15.00 each !

That is a fly tying steal! I may have to find my checkbook, I know I have it around here somewhere. 

If i did drys id invest.   I have some hackles from kolsch hackle farm i got in a box from ebay.   Mainly for the soft hackle and pheasant skin that was in the box.   I have not done much trout fishing over the last 20+ years.

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

That is a fly tying steal! I may have to find my checkbook, I know I have it around here somewhere. 

What’s a checkbook?

Lol. That’s the way Charlie does business. Checks only, 

8 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Lol. That’s the way Charlie does business. Checks only, 

Likely increases his profit margin by significantly reducing money handling fees.

Worth any extra trouble in this instance, fer sure.

8 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

What’s a checkbook?

Exactly! I have one somewhere.