Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Some good looking hackle !!!

Quill Gordon sz 14. Using a Collins Barred Dark Dun commercial grade cape feather. Screwed up the head because my thread started to fray.

3A1D9A84-5D5F-4487-B6C9-D986369B6C23.jpeg

A pic of the cape that tied that fly. Not bad for 15.00.

7738A7EF-1D00-4F78-8C08-1023BA52EFFD.jpeg

Wow! Would have gotten a commercial grade, but he has a $40 minimum order, and I wanted head cement, so instead I went for a Grade 3 and two $5 bottles of the head cement- one penetrating, one regular.

Probably should have gone for a commercial plus head cement plus spade fibers plus something else.

I'm certain I will- and while you (maybe someone else) said that the saddles are not much to write home about, I'm sure I can put the saddle to good use. That is part of the reason I decided on the Grade 3 as well

And I don't really need spade hackle- the capes I have now have a good amount left, plus I have woodchuck.(my favorite tailing material of all time) Also moose, caribou, and elk.

Though I thanked you already for the capes you sent when I was starting in dry flies, I would like to thank you again, and also Flytire for the beautiful grizzly cape he sent when I posted asking about a cheap source of good grizzly last year. I waited until my skills had progressed a little more to start using that cape- and the feathers are great. And Mogup, I still have the capes you sent too- the black 1/2 cape was so good I can hardly bear to use it. It still has most of its feathers, especially since they're so long I get 2-3 flies out of each. The dun cape is well used, and the brown cape is kaput except for smaller sizes and schlappen, plus some spade hackle.

Not very good !   If I were looking for saddles I’d look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

Not very good !   If I were looking for saddles I’d look elsewhere.

What is  your recommendation of what can be tied from them...buggers, streamers?

1 hour ago, fshng2 said:

What is  your recommendation of what can be tied from them...buggers, streamers?

Yes that you can use them for. They don’t really lends themselves to tying dry flies.