Jump to content
Fly Tying
Mogup

Some good looking hackle !!!

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

I have 1, my favorite chicken hide of all time, use it every chance I get on dry patterns.  I’ll post a picture one day but I can’t see this thread.......😜

class of 73 here, my eyes are going too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sandan said:

Thought this is a good looking saddle. 20-26s

 

My last midge saddle from Charlie.
He goes thru each saddle, grades them and sizes them.
This is Honey Dun, sizes 18 to 22.
That's his handwriting on the pink note.

96215247_3262613727083246_79183616729625

One day I had Charlie give me a quick course on picking Deer and Elk Hair for flies.
I then went thru his stock and pulled the patches and identified what I would use for each,
Kind of a test.
The same info is now included in his basic fly tying book.
As for Deer and Elk Hair, he sends back 80% to 90% of it back because it isn't good enough.
Guess who ends up buying it? Yeah, the other shops.

Kimo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sandan said:

class of 73 here, my eyes are going too

Dun Grizzly, hackle smaller than head of a pin at top  
 

Essentially got it free on auction site bid.  Included with a tying “Lot” package for which the bid was less than FMV of the hooks in the deal.

 

9D0DF4F8-A860-44F4-93F8-8A40CA04C0FF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kimo said:

My last midge saddle from Charlie.
He goes thru each saddle, grades them and sizes them.
This is Honey Dun, sizes 18 to 22.
That's his handwriting on the pink note.

96215247_3262613727083246_79183616729625

One day I had Charlie give me a quick course on picking Deer and Elk Hair for flies.
I then went thru his stock and pulled the patches and identified what I would use for each,
Kind of a test.
The same info is now included in his basic fly tying book.
As for Deer and Elk Hair, he sends back 80% to 90% of it back because it isn't good enough.
Guess who ends up buying it? Yeah, the other shops.

Kimo

One of mine has his notes on the front and one on the back. He gave me a crash course on picking deer and elk too, and calf body. I'm sure you passed with a higher grade than I did. He's also given me impromptu tying lessons.  I can easily spend hours at the Fly Box. Dave is a pretty cool guy too.  I hope he opens up soon, as I'm jonseing for a fix there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is sure some good, really good, looking hackle being shown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful cape Chugbug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an older Whiting signature saddle. A light barred dun.  The dog came with it.

323C83BD-24D1-4A3D-AA77-BCAE374C7533.jpeg

5FA71B9D-AD76-41E6-9265-F54AFCBFC6A7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sandan said:

One of mine has his notes on the front and one on the back. He gave me a crash course on picking deer and elk too, and calf body. I'm sure you passed with a higher grade than I did. He's also given me impromptu tying lessons.  I can easily spend hours at the Fly Box. Dave is a pretty cool guy too.  I hope he opens up soon, as I'm jonseing for a fix there.

First, I think about tying a fly. Then go looking for hackle.
When you see Charlie's handpicked and dyed saddles and capes its completely backwards.
You think about all the flies you could tie with it.
Kimo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kimo said:

First, I think about tying a fly. Then go looking for hackle.
When you see Charlie's handpicked and dyed saddles and capes its completely backwards.
You think about all the flies you could tie with it.
Kimo

You totally have that right.  His handpicked and dyed stuff get your juices flowing. Have you been out to "you know where" reservoir lately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sandan said:

You totally have that right.  His handpicked and dyed stuff get your juices flowing. Have you been out to "you know where" reservoir lately?

Not yet, the Smallie bite is still off until the water warms.
I did pick up a couple of brooders at the res. down the street.
They went 18" and 21", 4 and 5lb respectively.

Kimo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kimo said:

Not yet, the Smallie bite is still off until the water warms.
I did pick up a couple of brooders at the res. down the street.
They went 18" and 21", 4 and 5lb respectively.

Kimo

Excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does collins have larger hackle or are they focused primarily on trout sized feathers?   I do mostly warm water and salt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They sell bugger hackle too, and hen sets, and you can get a commercial grade grab bag (4 capes, $60) and have one hell of a lot of schlappen, and you can donate the dry fly feathers to a tying class or club..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

They sell bugger hackle too, and hen sets, and you can get a commercial grade grab bag (4 capes, $60) and have one hell of a lot of schlappen, and you can donate the dry fly feathers to a tying class or club..

👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...