Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

An even larger spider

I keep supersizing my favorite pan fish bug.  I was looking for a frog pattern preferably weedless.  I had a sample of one I wanted to tie.  It turned out to be more complicated to tie than I wanted.  Got out double hooks, 6 mm foam and a spinner bait skirt or two.  The next to last is the bug I posted up in May Flies, next to the frog version.  Last one is frog floating after being dropped into the water.

P5070533 (2).JPG

P5070535 (2).JPG

P5070539 (2).JPG

P5070542 (2).JPG

P5070548 (2).JPG

Looks like you're getting into spinning gear lures!  Too big for my casting ability.

I saw a fly identical to the last one yesterday. someone sent one to a buddy of mine as an example of what they were using to catch Snakeheads

15 hours ago, mikechell said:

Looks like you're getting into spinning gear lures!  Too big for my casting ability.

It's not as heavy as you think, Mike.  Just weighed it on my postage scale, and it weighs in at 0.2 oz or 7 gms.  Definitely an 8 wgt fly though I could probably chuck and duck it with my 6 wgt.   Probably have to use a heavier tippet.  I normally use 20 or 25 lb when fishing for bass.  I may have to go up to 40 lb to turn it over.  I guess it makes sense if I'm fishing on top of weeds and lily pads.

3 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

I saw a fly identical to the last one yesterday. someone sent one to a buddy of mine as an example of what they were using to catch Snakeheads

Damn, I thought I had something original.  I've been fishing the basic pan fish fly for about 15 years.  I got tired of the sunfish tearing up those soft sponge rubber bodies you can buy in the fly shops or on line  and laid one on a sheet of craft foam and drew the outline on it and cut out the shape.  2 mm or 3 mm craft foam works the best.  I've been messing with frog patterns using double hooks for several years, using large soft foam popper bodies but this is the first one where the whole fly and hooks are out of the water which I like.   We do have snakeheads around here.  Once I get off this cane and the shelter in place order lifts, the problem of living in a large city,  I'll give it shot for them.

1 hour ago, Philly said:

It's not as heavy as you think, Mike.  Just weighed it on my postage scale, and it weighs in at 0.2 oz or 7 gms.  Definitely an 8 wgt fly though I could probably chuck and duck it with my 6 wgt.   Probably have to use a heavier tippet.  I normally use 20 or 25 lb when fishing for bass.  I may have to go up to 40 lb to turn it over.  I guess it makes sense if I'm fishing on top of weeds and lily pads.

Damn, I thought I had something original.  I've been fishing the basic pan fish fly for about 15 years.  I got tired of the sunfish tearing up those soft sponge rubber bodies you can buy in the fly shops or on line  and laid one on a sheet of craft foam and drew the outline on it and cut out the shape.  2 mm or 3 mm craft foam works the best.  I've been messing with frog patterns using double hooks for several years, using large soft foam popper bodies but this is the first one where the whole fly and hooks are out of the water which I like.   We do have snakeheads around here.  Once I get off this cane and the shelter in place order lifts, the problem of living in a large city,  I'll give it shot for them.

This is something on my Bucket list is to catch a large Snakehead on a fly, or on anything for that matter. We catch some large Bowfin down here in NC, especially down towards the coast in our blackwater creeks. I've heard that the Snakeheads will crush a fly and are really tough. I also want to catch a Peacock Bass on the fly.

I know one guy who caught a snakehead on a fly rod.   It was several years ago when they were first reported to be in the ponds in Roosevelt Park in South Philadelphia.  These ponds connected to both the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers, so they've since spread out.   He came into the fly shop and told us that he had caught a snakehead on his fly rod and was going to have it mounted and give it to the shop.   A couple weeks later he brought it in, all 14 inches of it,  and the owner hung it on the wall.  It was lost in the shuffle when the shop moved to a new location.  I haven't had a chance to fish for them.  I'd like to find one in some clean water.  I understand they're excellent eating.  The state has them on if you catch one kill it list.  I imagine in a few years it will follow the flathead catfish onto the game fish list.  I've caught a few bowfin on minnows and maybe one or two on lures, but they were small, 12 to 15 inches.   Peacock Bass look like fun.  I watch a lot of fishing shows in the winter and have seen a couple where folks were fly fishing for them.

Mike.  Are you too far north in Florida to catch Peacocks?

Yeah ... kind of sucks.  Just a little too far North for any of those invasives, like the Peacock bass or the Ciclids and Clown Knife Fish.  I keep telling myself I'll get down there to catch some, but then I go local and have fun with Sunfish and Largemouth.

I like it philly! Looks like a bass catcher. I’ve had some success in certain weedless frog varieties  tied on worm hooks in the past. I like the double hook idea as long as they land point up. Certainly more surface area to tie on. 

I learned in experimenting with mine that size and weight wasn’t the problem with casting them, it was wind resistance. I think your diamond shape may help with that aspect. 

Feel free to send one my way, and I’ll put it through it’s paces on Okeechobee.