Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Robbing The Cradle

The kayaks got wet for the first time this year, yesterday morning. My buddy and I went to a small lake,off of a larger lake,but ,connected by a culvert system. Large boats cant get in through the culverts and the little path isn't big enough for large trailers,so no bass boats zooming around. The lake might have been 10 acres total.

We arrived about 8:15 and it was 38 degrees. I was glad I had brought my knee boots to get the boats launched. I strung up a green/brown hopper with an olive soft hackle fly with a maribou tail. I caught 2 VERY small fish in the first 10 minutes. My buddy did about the same. We fished for 3 hours on a building NW wind before we said UNCLE. Fly fishing and kayaking in a 25+ mph wind is nearly impossible and NO fun. 

I did notice when we started paddling back to the truck,fortunately with a tail wind, that we were marking large schools of fish about 4 feet down to 10 feet. I grabbed a spinning rod and put a little Rattletrap on and started paddling. Within a couple of minutes, my rod started bouncing and I reeled up a White Perch, then another, then another then another......

I caught about a dozen White Perch in no time flat,but they were all about 4-6 inches long.

Our totals for the day were....about 8 Bream each, none over 4 inches long and about a dozen White Perch, none over 6 inches long. I felt like we were robbing the cradle. I cant wait to get back to this lake when its warmer and less windy.

Thats my second trip in a row where the fishing has been poor, but..I'll be back at it...soon!

Tie up some flies that look like 4 inch sunfish and 6 inch white perch.

Any day fishin's a good day.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Tie up some flies that look like 4 inch sunfish and 6 inch white perch.

The bigger fish will turn on as soon as it warms up again. Usually, in NC, the week before and the week of, the full moon is the best for large Bream to move into shallower water and start feeding. We're having a cold snap right now, sso, it may be the next full moon before the Bream get really hungry. The water temps yesterday were low 60's and they usually dont fire up until  the water hits a steady 68 or better.

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Surprised it was 38 down there. That's about what we had up here this morning but figured it was just good ol' Michigan .

Yea, the weather weenies are calling for several more cool evenings. I'm going to have to cover my garden up because they are calling for a freeze warning tonight.

5 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

We actually just about about 20 mins of snow here. Crazy.

Just north of the border at Sault Ste. Marie. Been snowing on and off all day.

Thankfully it didn't stick on the ground. Was weird though seeing it in May. We've had it in April here before but I don't ever recall seeing it snow in May here that I can remember.

High of 70s here, low of 50s, just sayin'. Checked all my ice fishing spots, need a ladder or waders to get on the ice now. Good fishing now though.

30 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Thankfully it didn't stick on the ground. Was weird though seeing it in May. We've had it in April here before but I don't ever recall seeing it snow in May here that I can remember.

21 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

High of 70s here, low of 50s, just sayin'. Checked all my ice fishing spots, need a ladder or waders to get on the ice now. Good fishing now though.

That seems backwards for both of you

49 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

That seems backwards for both of you

At least Wyoming is consistent  75 Sunday, Hard snow Monday, Tuesday- kayak trip cancelled Gropple and +/- 25 mph winds, Rain Bitter Cold Wed and Thursday,...🙄🙄

Seemed to be freezing here, this morning.  It was 48 ... which is freezing to me.  Warmed up to a nice 76 or so.  Replaced the trailer lights adapter (yesterday)  in the TC and the wire harness on the trailer today.  Ready to go ... but it probably won't be until Monday or so, based on the weather forecasts.

Cradle robbing seems to be the catch of the day in my area, too, this past week.

Unlike you, Mad Duck, I'm partial to the weeks before and after the NEW Moon.  I believe the fish can see better, and feed better through the night during the two weeks before and after a full moon, making them less eager to bite in the full daylight.  (Ospreys are a constant threat to the fish here)  I usually catch more and bigger fish during the "dark night" weeks.

16 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

True, but some are gooder than others. 

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

2nd week in April is the latest I remember seeing snow in my area. Flurries here this AM, temp is 32 with a high of 42 predicted today. I don't mind fishing in these temps in December - March, but it seems wrong in May 

Had an osprey fly over me monday while searching for salt run trout,  they usually arrive about the same time as the schoolie stripers.   It was 70 the other day,  today 40 and snowing.   Tomorrow is going to be 60,  so im heading out looking for early stripers.