Fly Tying
ScienceGuy141

UV adhesives/epoxies

Hi Everyone!

I have been wanting to add epoxies/UV adhesives to my arsenal for adding eyes and shaping congo hair heads. Just curious what products people use for this. I see them used in fly tying videos but a lot of times they don't actually say what they are using. I'd rather not get the entire Loon UV kit if I'm only going to end up using one kind. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I started with the "As seen on TV" brands.  Cheap, accessible, comes with its own light.

Have since moved on to Loon UV products and lights, though I still keep one of the others in my travel tying kit.

Loon stays tacky in my experience. RaidZap has been decent. 

I do use loon knot sense to cover knots in leaders. For whatever reason it isnt tacky when I set it, whereas the other loon products I've used stay tacky even after leaving them in the summer sun.

15892969306323646547830965668128.jpg

15892970319204544203771902113897.jpg

I use UV flow as head cement. The thin I use on quill bodies. The thick I use for copper johns and for the head on streamers like the deceiver.

I use the thin first on fiber streamer flies, it grabs fibers better than the thick. I use the thick to form heads and make eyes 3D. Then I use the flow to go over the whole thing (the head and the eye) to make it not tacky.

You asked about UV AND epoxy.  It's been hinted at, by the lack of information, don't bother with epoxy. 

I don't have anything AGAINST epoxy, except it takes forever to use. (Even 5 minutes is a looong time compared to UV with a light)  You have to mix it up, apply it accurately and keep rotating it until it hardens.  It's impossible to mix JUST the right amount, so you're always wasting some.  If you've ever used epoxy, once you use UV, you'll never go back.

All that being said, there are uses for epoxy that UV resins can't do.  Depth or internal.  Not fly tying, so much, but making tools for fly tying often requires epoxy.

Good luck with your choices.

Solarez here.  Stuff is getting expensive  I order thru FeatherCraft.   Got a $10 lite at Lowe’s.   Got the fingernail lite from beauty shop, $50.   Sunshine is free. Had to paint a brush bottle black.  I like the brush better for big stuff   E185320B-C9C1-47F7-A121-5EF1041835A1.thumb.png.dca6512eae7d28fc41214522e24f8314.png

9A69561A-AD82-4C85-977C-3A81E8417883.jpeg

5B2EF740-5CAB-4A45-B648-C9FC0B4B9382.jpeg

Epoxy with a rotisserie is better for making lots of flies at once, it's more durable than UV resin and a lot less expensive. You get a lot less waste when you mix once and do a lot of flies. To me, epoxy makes a much better head. It's much clearer than UV resin and like I said, more durable.

Liquid Fusion.  It’s been my go-to for a while now. No smell, cheap, flexible, clear, strong

I have a question for the epoxy/UV users. How do they affect the sink rate of the fly? Does a head that’s been built up cause a congo/ep baitfish fly to sink faster?

I've used 2 part quick epoxy in the past and I’d much rather use liquid fusion.  The epoxy ones sank too fast for me to use in my local, shallow waters. I’m sure the other stuff out now will have different properties than what I’ve used. I’ll have to bite the bullet one day and play with the uv. I’ve tied countless flies with 1 1/2 bottles in 8 years. It’s about time to get another $7.00 bottle.  Less with coupons.

BE7D1F5D-BDF5-4D62-B843-1FEAE8CEB322.jpeg