Jump to content
Fly Tying
ScienceGuy141

UV adhesives/epoxies

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

Liquid Fusion.  It’s been my go-to for a while now. No smell, cheap, flexible, clear, strong

I have a question for the epoxy/UV users. How do they affect the sink rate of the fly? Does a head that’s been built up cause a congo/ep baitfish fly to sink faster?

I've used 2 part quick epoxy in the past and I’d much rather use liquid fusion.  The epoxy ones sank too fast for me to use in my local, shallow waters. I’m sure the other stuff out now will have different properties than what I’ve used. I’ll have to bite the bullet one day and play with the uv. I’ve tied countless flies with 1 1/2 bottles in 8 years. It’s about time to get another $7.00 bottle.  Less with coupons.

 

Not sure if it's faster. The faster the better for me. I'm fishin' deeeeeep. I personally don't think it would make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

Liquid Fusion.  It’s been my go-to for a while now. No smell, cheap, flexible, clear, strong

I have a question for the epoxy/UV users. How do they affect the sink rate of the fly? Does a head that’s been built up cause a congo/ep baitfish fly to sink faster?

I've used 2 part quick epoxy in the past and I’d much rather use liquid fusion.  The epoxy ones sank too fast for me to use in my local, shallow waters. I’m sure the other stuff out now will have different properties than what I’ve used. I’ll have to bite the bullet one day and play with the uv. I’ve tied countless flies with 1 1/2 bottles in 8 years. It’s about time to get another $7.00 bottle.  Less with coupons.

BE7D1F5D-BDF5-4D62-B843-1FEAE8CEB322.jpeg

Im with a Caloosa bug, sort of. I use UV but it's probably the least used item on my desk. That or my hair packer. To me one brand ain't much different from the other. It's all expensive and it all drys hard when hit with a light.  If it's a little tacky, put a coat of Sally hanson over it. 

For baitfish heads I use aleene's fabric fusion which is the same as liquid fusion just sold at Walmart to glue stuff to tee shirts. It's cheaper than liquid fusion. I think fabric fusion is a way better choice than UV resin for the application mentioned if dry time is unimportant to you. If dry time is a major factor UV can't be beat. Fabric fusion allows for a semi solid head that is still flexible and maintains its shape. Eyes can be glued to it or with it. Dry time is....... I really don't know, I just hook the fly to a piece of foam and let it dry. It's always dry the next day so you can see the need for instantaneous drying is unimportant to me. wait....I'll go read the bottle...........2 to 4 hours, washable in 48 hours. 

UV resin ain't all it's cracked up to be so don't feel as if your missing out on something. I can tell you I bought my last bottle of UV and, unlike most, consider it a passing fad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice Poopdeck!

 

After hearing that I'll plan to swing through walmart soon and pick up some fabric fusion. I'm an almost entirely self or YouTube taught fly tier and fisherman, and have more recently been starting to look to forums for help. I really enjoy watching some of the top fly tiers/fisherman and their skills, but it gets intimidating when they are constantly using some top of the line, expensive material/gear that I dont have. Finding the line between quality materials and cost-effective alternatives with equally effective results is always helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use liquid fusion, too.  If you get too much in one application, you may find that it breaks off.  User error.

You can thin it with water.  Nontoxic, odor free.  For poppers retaining color without chipping, it was found to be as effective as epoxy.  I can't remember where the study was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Im with a Caloosa bug, sort of. I use UV but it's probably the least used item on my desk. That or my hair packer. To me one brand ain't much different from the other. It's all expensive and it all drys hard when hit with a light.  If it's a little tacky, put a coat of Sally hanson over it. 

For baitfish heads I use aleene's fabric fusion which is the same as liquid fusion just sold at Walmart to glue stuff to tee shirts. It's cheaper than liquid fusion. I think fabric fusion is a way better choice than UV resin for the application mentioned if dry time is unimportant to you. If dry time is a major factor UV can't be beat. Fabric fusion allows for a semi solid head that is still flexible and maintains its shape. Eyes can be glued to it or with it. Dry time is....... I really don't know, I just hook the fly to a piece of foam and let it dry. It's always dry the next day so you can see the need for instantaneous drying is unimportant to me. wait....I'll go read the bottle...........2 to 4 hours, washable in 48 hours. 

UV resin ain't all it's cracked up to be so don't feel as if your missing out on something. I can tell you I bought my last bottle of UV and, unlike most, consider it a passing fad. 

I agree, Poopdeck. I've been using liquid fusion for a lot of things including finish on poppers and it holds up very well. Like you said, I use UV, too, especially if you need flies with no drying time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know if it, fabric fusion, melts styrofoam?  Kinda expensive coating my ball flies with UV thick enough to be durable cuz everything else melts them.  Been using SallyHansens to add coats but if there’s a leak the thing starts to melt, oops...

4B652119-584A-4267-BA64-E82353B6CA98.png

681B1F32-F9FF-4009-862A-25F65B92918E.jpeg

0054FADB-DD1E-47DB-858C-AB2AB2C554EF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, denduke said:

Anybody know if it, fabric fusion, melts styrofoam?  Kinda expensive coating my ball flies with UV thick enough to be durable cuz everything else melts them.  Been using SallyHansens to add coats but if there’s a leak the thing starts to melt, oops...

4B652119-584A-4267-BA64-E82353B6CA98.png

681B1F32-F9FF-4009-862A-25F65B92918E.jpeg

0054FADB-DD1E-47DB-858C-AB2AB2C554EF.jpeg

I put some on every piece of foam I could find with no harmful effect. I couldn't find any styrofoam but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. It says it's non toxic so to me that means you can eat it and smear it in your eye so it shouldn't melt foam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works fine with styrofoam. No reaction. I usually put a drop in the middle of the back on my foam spiders to help with durability and keeping legs spread apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This stuff is like a jell.   Can’t spread with a brush to coat large surfaces very well.  Definitely doesn’t flow or penetrate unless forced in.  Kinda reminds me of grease packing bearings.   You can put it on but you gotta push it in the cracks/ spaces.  I can see how it is effective with eyes on EP fibers.   But gotta wait 2-4 hours.  I tried to paint it on the styrofoam balls with a brush.  Hard to paint something smoothly. It does settle a little if placed thickly.   I did clean my brush with paint thinner.  Water didn’t work.   I coated the balls and coated a few glass bead/ melted mono eyes and tried gluing some styrofoam pieces together.  Great that it don’t melt the styrofoam but will it bond to the hooks as well as the UV stuff makes it do...  Will check in the AM for results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not epoxy. My vote is no it won't. I push it around with my bodkin. Because of the dry time it self smooths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I put some on every piece of foam I could find with no harmful effect. I couldn't find any styrofoam but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. It says it's non toxic so to me that means you can eat it and smear it in your eye so it shouldn't melt foam.

Please review and report your results in the new “Dining In””” forum😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the RiverRuns UV kit a few years back on Amazon and got thick and thin resins with the UV light for about 20 bucks. Now its a 3 resin & light kit for $18. Works well for the limited use I need it for. When I make hair jigs I just paint the jig head and then  brush on Loctite 5 min epoxy. Going to loose a bunch anyhow and don't want to waste the UV stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well doodoo.   This stuff shrinks considerably and didn’t offer any strength to the shell effect of the round balls.  It indeed didn’t melt them but didn’t glue to the hooks, WTF!   Made a lil puddle and it stays very flexible and it holds the 30# mono I put in a lil string.  Still kinda tacky after 13 hours.    It glued 2 pieces of styrofoam well but on other foams it was junk. The glass bead eyes are strong but shrunk.  I don’t need the flexiblity in what I’m tying to do with it.  Not gonna replace my UV/SallyHansens but should help my eyes on fiber streamers.  Guess I can use it for some things if I live long enough for it to dry.   

 

A6AD701B-1A39-410D-AA0F-57FCE067FA4C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody put the fusion ontop of SallyHansens or UV or the other way around. I tried it and it turned into a fuzzy peach😳.  I’ve made a bunch of junk today. I got 2 bottles of this chit!😡

Hey girls y’all need some fabric glue to make your Covid masks????   Just takes a few days to dry....😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, denduke said:

Anybody put the fusion ontop of SallyHansens or UV or the other way around. I tried it and it turned into a fuzzy peach😳.  I’ve made a bunch of junk today. I got 2 bottles of this chit!😡

Hey girls y’all need some fabric glue to make your Covid masks????   Just takes a few days to dry....😝

Dangit, I just ordered some of the same stuff and now I regret it. I just don't have that much time to let a fly dry, and I want my stuff crystal clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...