Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Fox Squirrel Skin

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on sources for a full fox squirrel skin, preferably with the tail. I only have some smaller patches currently, which are starting to look pretty bald. 

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, most of the supply houses don't sell them with tails, I'm just getting low so I'll hold off for now.  .   

7 hours ago, flytire said:

nothing available at bears den fly shop?

moscow for and hide

https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/7420.html

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  .  Thanks for the other link, thats more in line of what I was looking for.  That looks promising.  

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I see some on eBay. Some of them look sketchy though.

Yeah, I try to keep my eye on the auctions, but right now there ain't much in the way of fox squirrel.  

4 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

Taxidermy shops:  scraps, leftovers, failed projects, overruns, or proprietors that shoot well and often.

Yeah FRN, there are a few taxi shops around here, but no fox squirrels that I've ever seen.  If there were I'd be harvesting my own, haha.  I should stop in one anyway, see what I could scrounge up.  

15 minutes ago, niveker said:

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, most of the supply houses don't sell them with tails, I'm just getting low so I'll hold off for now.  .   

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  .  Thanks for the other link, thats more in line of what I was looking for.  That looks promising.  

Yeah, I try to keep my eye on the auctions, but right now there ain't much in the way of fox squirrel.  

Yeah FRN, there are a few taxi shops around here, but no fox squirrels that I've ever seen.  If there were I'd be harvesting my own, haha.  I should stop in one anyway, see what I could scrounge up.  

Phone safari, doing one now for Gray Fox pelt...

On 5/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, niveker said:

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  . 

It says most orders ship next day on their site,  could probably order it this weekend and have it Tues.

55 minutes ago, vicente said:

It says most orders ship next day on their site,  could probably order it this weekend and have it Tues.

bearsden.com is best if they do not back order the items,  From the East Shores side of here they get stuff to BF Egypt, WY307 best of all,,, my 2 pennies!

I keep an eye on the bay!!  most places won't come with a tail.  I like them soft tanned as I cut them for zonker strips.  

2 hours ago, Fatman said:

I keep an eye on the bay!!  most places won't come with a tail.  I like them soft tanned as I cut them for zonker strips.  

Welcome, to the forum.

I think that you would find full skins minus the tail if you look at Blue Ribbon fly shop in West Yellowstone I had shared with the individual that was looking for fur to tie Humpys. I have not needed any fur or skins in years but this shop has always had the best selection 

On 5/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, James said:

I think that you would find full skins minus the tail if you look at Blue Ribbon fly shop in West Yellowstone I had shared with the individual that was looking for fur to tie Humpys. I have not needed any fur or skins in years but this shop has always had the best selection 

Thanks,  I'll check them out