Jump to content
Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Fox Squirrel Skin

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice on sources for a full fox squirrel skin, preferably with the tail. I only have some smaller patches currently, which are starting to look pretty bald. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taxidermy shops:  scraps, leftovers, failed projects, overruns, or proprietors that shoot well and often.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, most of the supply houses don't sell them with tails, I'm just getting low so I'll hold off for now.  .   

7 hours ago, flytire said:

nothing available at bears den fly shop?

moscow for and hide

https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/7420.html

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  .  Thanks for the other link, thats more in line of what I was looking for.  That looks promising.  

 

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I see some on eBay. Some of them look sketchy though.

Yeah, I try to keep my eye on the auctions, but right now there ain't much in the way of fox squirrel.  

 

4 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

Taxidermy shops:  scraps, leftovers, failed projects, overruns, or proprietors that shoot well and often.

Yeah FRN, there are a few taxi shops around here, but no fox squirrels that I've ever seen.  If there were I'd be harvesting my own, haha.  I should stop in one anyway, see what I could scrounge up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, niveker said:

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, most of the supply houses don't sell them with tails, I'm just getting low so I'll hold off for now.  .   

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  .  Thanks for the other link, thats more in line of what I was looking for.  That looks promising.  

 

Yeah, I try to keep my eye on the auctions, but right now there ain't much in the way of fox squirrel.  

 

Yeah FRN, there are a few taxi shops around here, but no fox squirrels that I've ever seen.  If there were I'd be harvesting my own, haha.  I should stop in one anyway, see what I could scrounge up.  

Phone safari, doing one now for Gray Fox pelt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, niveker said:

I appreciate all the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, most of the supply houses don't sell them with tails, I'm just getting low so I'll hold off for now.  .   

Thanks Norm, unfortunately Bears Den is a pretty good hike for me, about 90 minutes one way.  . 

It says most orders ship next day on their site,  could probably order it this weekend and have it Tues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, vicente said:

It says most orders ship next day on their site,  could probably order it this weekend and have it Tues.

bearsden.com is best if they do not back order the items,  From the East Shores side of here they get stuff to BF Egypt, WY307 best of all,,, my 2 pennies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep an eye on the bay!!  most places won't come with a tail.  I like them soft tanned as I cut them for zonker strips.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fatman said:

I keep an eye on the bay!!  most places won't come with a tail.  I like them soft tanned as I cut them for zonker strips.  

Welcome, to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that you would find full skins minus the tail if you look at Blue Ribbon fly shop in West Yellowstone I had shared with the individual that was looking for fur to tie Humpys. I have not needed any fur or skins in years but this shop has always had the best selection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, James said:

I think that you would find full skins minus the tail if you look at Blue Ribbon fly shop in West Yellowstone I had shared with the individual that was looking for fur to tie Humpys. I have not needed any fur or skins in years but this shop has always had the best selection 

Thanks,  I'll check them out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...