Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Fish pics

I've caught Freshwater Drum in the French Broad River near Asheville NC. That was quite a pull on a 5 wt! They are not an invasive species as far as I know.

Couple of beautiful Long Eared Sunfish, a Rock Bass, and (in Texas), they call them "Gaspergoo".  Only ever caught one myself.

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

Couple of beautiful Long Eared Sunfish, a Rock Bass, and (in Texas), they call them "Gaspergoo".  Only ever caught one myself.

In NC, those are called Punkinseeds

Long Eared Sunfish and Pumpkin Seed Sunfish are different.  Brightness of colors and length of gill flap most notably.

Pumpkinseed:
5cf30b350473b.image.jpg?resize=1200,674

Long Eared Sunfish:

030a7f6bf9ea7a137315d28cb06a0397.jpg

Red Breast Sunfish have longer "ears" than the Long Eared Sunfish ... but few or no spots.

5APJBNGqLAGgYDUea5ca4Koscv8nswwWD-g1LaKm

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

Long Eared Sunfish and Pumpkin Seed Sunfish are different.  Brightness of colors and length of gill flap most notably.

Pumpkinseed:
5cf30b350473b.image.jpg?resize=1200,674

Long Eared Sunfish:

030a7f6bf9ea7a137315d28cb06a0397.jpg

Red Breast Sunfish have longer "ears" than the Long Eared Sunfish ... but few or no spots.

5APJBNGqLAGgYDUea5ca4Koscv8nswwWD-g1LaKm

Us Rednecks here in NC would call both of the above Punkinseeds...ha ha 😆

I guess I'm a bit of a stickler.  Having traveled all over, getting to fish in many of the States, I like to be accurate on identification of the different Sunfish species.  It's neat to catch the same kind of fish in Florida, Texas, California, Illinois, etc., and see how they are similar and different while being the same species.

It's interesting to know the real names of all of them. It's interesting to just know how many there are. Something like a bazillion different species of sunfish.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

It's interesting to know the real names of all of them. It's interesting to just know how many there are. Something like a bazillion different species of sunfish.

Yup. A  bazillion. And they all eat these. Even the Drum.

DSC01408.JPG

I caught  fresh water drum when I was in college in NW Tennessee back in the 70's.  They made a decent fish stew.   This is what we call a pumpkinseed up here.  You can't  see it in the picture where I'm holding it but it's visible in the second picture is the red spot at the end of the ear.  That helps in identifying them

sP5240265.thumb.JPG.5cf12e4e339bfd2985efe794478048d4.JPG

P5240267.JPG

11 hours ago, Philly said:

I caught  fresh water drum when I was in college in NW Tennessee back in the 70's.  They made a decent fish stew.   This is what we call a pumpkinseed up here.  You can't  see it in the picture where I'm holding it but it's visible in the second picture is the red spot at the end of the ear.  That helps in identifying them

sP5240265.thumb.JPG.5cf12e4e339bfd2985efe794478048d4.JPG

P5240267.JPG

Philly,  I/we call this a Red Ear around here in central Illinois.

Nice fish what ever it is called.

18 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Something like a bazillion different species of sunfish.

If I've told you once, Mark, I've told you a MILLION times ... stop exaggerating !!!

1 hour ago, gillage said:

call this a Red Ear around here

Again ... different species.

Redear Sunfish aren't as brightly colored ... and get MUCH larger than Pumpkinseeds.

redear.jpg