Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Fish pics

It's definitely a different fish than the one I'm holding,  Mike.   The lake only has bluegills and pumpkinseed in it according to a state electrofishing survey conducted last spring.  For reference, the section of my thumb in the picture is just a shade under 3 inches long,  so this is a decent size pumpkinseed for the lake.   They were on the beds, so my guess this one is a female, since the colors aren't that bright.    I'm not unfamiliar with red ear's.  I caught them in the Obion River in NW Tennessee when I was in college, except we called them shellcrackers.   I know where to post unidentified sunfish pictures to.

Yeah ... Redears are called "Shell Crackers" here, too.  I made some "snail flies" when Mark Knapp was tying some up, just to see if I could target them directly.  So far, no luck.

6 hours ago, mikechell said:

If I've told you once, Mark, I've told you a MILLION times ... stop exaggerating !!!

Again ... different species.

Redear Sunfish aren't as brightly colored ... and get MUCH larger than Pumpkinseeds.

redear.jpg

We call those shellcrackers here in ky. And yes they get much bigger

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

Yeah ... Redears are called "Shell Crackers" here, too.  I made some "snail flies" when Mark Knapp was tying some up, just to see if I could target them directly.  So far, no luck.

Sloooow down your retrieve! 😁

Swamp

LOL  Dare ya !!!  Come on down, we'll fish together and see who fishes slower.  I've got a friend (well, acquaintance) who is a guide.  He's known for having his customers fish much slower than they are used to.  If he happens to see me on the river when he's working, he'll tell his customers to be glad they aren't fishing with me because I make him look like Speedy Gonzales. 

Haha! You are probably right, I DO often have a tendency to fish too fast.  However I tend to work an area to slow and mot move to more productive water. 

One of these days I will actually take you up on that though!

Swamp

Anytime.  Invitation is open to everyone.  If'n you're in the area, let me know and we'll hit the water.

Bad news is ... looks like I'm being called back to work a few weeks earlier than previously thought.  Trial retirement is coming to an end. 😪