Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Bonus clips from Forged In Fire

I got a surprise yesterday when a customer mentioned he had seen my FIF weapon, the tabar shishpar, in a bonus clip of the worlds five best axes. We googled it and lo and behold, there is one.

This clip shows for the first time the hidden dagger I put inside the handle. Here it is.

Not only that but we found two other bonus clips.

Very cool !!!   Did the judges know about the dagger during the original show?  Surprising it wasn't mentioned.

25 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Very cool !!!   Did the judges know about the dagger during the original show?  Surprising it wasn't mentioned.

Yes they did, and they even did a film segment about it for the original show but that ended up on the cutting room floor. We have speculated why they didn't use it in the original. Some of us speculate that it was because they had 100s of hour of film to cut to 44 minutes.

We have also speculated that for suspense reasons they didn't show it. They want to keep viewers wondering who the winner might be till the end and if the dagger was shown, maybe it would have indicated a clear winner too early in the show.

Another thing they didn't show was, during my testing, I was cutting coconuts in half and while I was doing that one of them spun up on its end, I picked it up and drank the milk out of it while it was in mid spin. I thought that would have made great TV but they chose not to use it.

Then again, I always think I look cooler than I really do no matter what I'm doing.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

holy shishpar

do you get to keep the weapon after its presented to the judges?

No sir, they get to keep it, but I get to keep the $10,000.00. The runner-up gets to keep his weapon starting in season 4 but before that they didn't get to keep them either.

Very nice!

For what it's worth, I completely agree with the judges about the weight issue.  I have spent a significant amount of time in armor hitting people in the head (and elsewhere). If you only have to swing a few times then the heavy weapon works great but you won't be worth poop for more than a few swings.  In melees, after an hour your arms are ready to fall off even if you are using a very light weight weapon.  At that point in time you couldn't control anything heavy, hit with any kind of power, or have any speed.  The other guy could finish a cup of coffee before it got to him.  Kinda like the old caliber arguments, would you rather hit a charging elephant with a .22 LR or miss with a Howitzer?  FYI a mace is a horrible horrible thing, made me cringe just looking at it. I'd much rather take a hit from the axe end any day of the week. The hammer is another one of those things that would leave a mark...

Swamp

BTW, please don't ever make any high end migration era ring swords, I really can't allow myself to afford your caliber of skill for something like that! There would be a whole bunch of zeros in that price tag. But man I'd love to see one anyway. LOL

12 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Very nice!

For what it's worth, I completely agree with the judges about the weight issue.  I have spent a significant amount of time in armor hitting people in the head (and elsewhere). If you only have to swing a few times then the heavy weapon works great but you won't be worth poop for more than a few swings.  In melees, after an hour your arms are ready to fall off even if you are using a very light weight weapon.  At that point in time you couldn't control anything heavy, hit with any kind of power, or have any speed.  The other guy could finish a cup of coffee before it got to him.  Kinda like the old caliber arguments, would you rather hit a charging elephant with a .22 LR or miss with a Howitzer?  FYI a mace is a horrible horrible thing, made me cringe just looking at it. I'd much rather take a hit from the axe end any day of the week. The hammer is another one of those things that would leave a mark...

Swamp

BTW, please don't ever make any high end migration era ring swords, I really can't allow myself to afford your caliber of skill for something like that! There would be a whole bunch of zeros in that price tag. But man I'd love to see one anyway. LOL

Naturally, I agree with the "light and fast" strategy to weapon making, it served well in my first foray into Forged In Fire. Not so much on my second, it's airing later this summer.

Well that is unfortunate that your second go was not as successful but i look forward to seeing anyway.

Swamp

19 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Well that is unfortunate that your second go was not as successful but i look forward to seeing anyway.

Swamp

Ya do the best you can and have fun. I did. No regrets.