Fly Tying
TSFISH

CAE Tying Vice

28 minutes ago, mikechell said:

More about purchasing a vise with the CAE being mentioned first.

I think the thread title is 

CAE Tying Vice

20 hours ago, Jaydub said:

I don't know why this is hard to understand. Most if not all American vises use a 3/8"(9.5 mm) stem. This means that clamps and bases for these vises have 9.5 mm holes. If a vise has a 10 mm stem it won't fit in a 9.5 mm hole. You would need to bore out the hole or turn down the stem to fit. But it sounds like the whole thing is moot because you can order a JVice with a 3/8" stem.

Right you are, it's not hard to understand. The difference between 10MM and 3/8's isn't a problem whatsoever in my book so I thought there had to be something else. Thanks for clearing it up for me. 

I'm well aware that it is slightly smaller i think the tolerance on my wolf's base is actually loose enough to except a 10mm post, but like poopdeck said I wouldn't consider boring the hole a little bit larger an issue if needed.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:39 AM, Bazzer69 said:

Wasn’t this tread about the CAE vise?

Lol. It’s evolved. 
As has my choice. Think I’m going to go for the DynaKing Excalibur.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, TSFISH said:

Lol. It’s evolved. 
As has my choice. Think I’m going to go for the DynaKing Excalibur.

I think you’ll be happy with that choice. Would love to hear a review from you if that’s your choice.

10 hours ago, Mogup said:

I think you’ll be happy with that choice. Would love to hear a review from you if that’s your choice.

Hey Mate, looks like it’s happening, so I’d be more than happy to do a review.

Watch this space...

A lot of the very good tyers use a LAW vise such as Davie McPhail . The main reason is the clearance behind the jaws with the LAWs unique dog tooth shape. The LAW vise is no longer made and is very expensive used, typically $3000 for a decent one.  The CAE vise is as a close copy as you can get and, like the LAW was, is hand made in small batches. Yes I’ve got a small issue with mine, but nothing I can’t live with and it only cost me $700 for the MK 2 version with both a pedestal base and a table clamp. So if you would like a LAW but don’t have very deep pockets then try a CAE, you won’t be disappointed. 

Of course I can tie perfectly good flies on a very old vise I picked up for $20, but somehow it’s not so pleasing as using the CAE. 
Barry