Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Fly Fishing for grayling

Just posted this. Hope you like it! Please like the video and subscribe.

I liked this video so much I watched it a second time with my wife. She liked it as much as I did, and she doesn't even like fishing. What a wild and fun ride! The best part is seeing how great a time you're having. Good luck on your exams, have fun in Valdez, and keep on going! 

You need to spend a little money on a net, instead of trying to drag the fish up onto the bank.  You'd have had that first one with a net.  You were encroaching on that other guy a bit ... should've moved farther down or up the river before fishing.

Video is pretty good, otherwise.

@TIER , you really have to take care of those fish. You're squeezing them and letting them flop around on shore. Leave them in the water, wet your hands before touching them- try not to touch them at all, really. Also, use barbless hooks. Grayling especially are rare. That fish you handled will very likely die.

I don't think there's a big grayling shortage in Alaska, I think I would've made them into dinner. 

Nice video, makes me want to get up there and go fishing even more.

3 minutes ago, vicente said:

I don't think there's a big grayling shortage in Alaska, I think I would've made them into dinner. 

sadly you can't keep the grayling in the clearwater 😔

3 hours ago, samsonboi said:

@TIER , you really have to take care of those fish. You're squeezing them and letting them flop around on shore. Leave them in the water, wet your hands before touching them- try not to touch them at all, really. Also, use barbless hooks. Grayling especially are rare. That fish you handled will very likely die.

samsonboi, It probably won't die. They are weak, but not that weak. And at least I don't play with the fish like this one kid that always plays with the trout that he catches. I am not like that. 

mike i actually forgot my net 🤦‍♂️

chugbug, thank you. Making videos that people enjoy is my job. I am happy that a succeeded.

James, nice video. Your youthful exuberance is probably the most striking thing about it.

It seems like the thing to do is critique anything that anybody posts on the internet. Some people do it to genuinely try to help you and some people do it just to show how much more they know than you do. Probably its a little of both. Our choices are, don't post or post and learn what we can from the comments and try not let the rest of it bother us.

Here's my two scents;

Mike, Almost nobody stream fishes in Alaska with a landing net, you can almost always tell a tourist fisherman cuz he has a net. Our philosophy is "so what, he got off, I'll just catch another". To me a net is just more junk to carry and get caught in the brush. 20 to 100 fish days are common and one more or less because you didn't have a net doesn't really matter. Especially if you were going to let it go anyway.

SB, I don't think that fish was harmed in any way. Grayling are not like trout, they are in the salmon family and quite tough. And, like vicente said we got a lot of them. If it were me, I would have left it in the water more and I try to show a little more respect to the fish than James did but he's young and he will learn that with a little bit of guidance.

For what it's worth, that's what I think. Good job James, your stuff keeps getting better.

59 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

James, nice video. Your youthful exuberance is probably the most striking thing about it.

It seems like the thing to do is critique anything that anybody posts on the internet. Some people do it to genuinely try to help you and some people do it just to show how much more they know than you do. Probably its a little of both. Our choices are, don't post or post and learn what we can from the comments and try not let the rest of it bother us.

Here's my two scents;

Mike, Almost nobody stream fishes in Alaska with a landing net, you can almost always tell a tourist fisherman cuz he has a net. Our philosophy is "so what, he got off, I'll just catch another". To me a net is just more junk to carry and get caught in the brush. 20 to 100 fish days are common and one more or less because you didn't have a net doesn't really matter. Especially if you were going to let it go anyway.

SB, I don't think that fish was harmed in any way. Grayling are not like trout, they are in the salmon family and quite tough. And, like vicente said we got a lot of them. If it were me, I would have left it in the water more and I try to show a little more respect to the fish than James did but he's young and he will learn that with a little bit of guidance.

For what it's worth, that's what I think. Good job James, your stuff keeps getting better.

Actually I disagree about the landing net. The person who taught me how to use the drop shot method uses a net, and he I a professional guide. And from my time with him i can tell he is the best when it comes to fly fishing for grayling. He caught 10 fish in under 20 minutes. And due to the river's popularity, the fish are picky and over fished, which makes it harder and harder to fish. But the areas most people can't get to are the best. A lot of people don't have waders, so they can't access my favorite spot (I have waders) and they can't over fish the area. 

9 minutes ago, TIER said:

Actually I disagree about the landing net. The person who taught me how to use the drop shot method uses a net, and he I a professional guide. And from my time with him i can tell he is the best when it comes to fly fishing for grayling. He caught 10 fish in under 20 minutes. And due to the river's popularity, the fish are picky and over fished, which makes it harder and harder to fish. But the areas most people can't get to are the best. A lot of people don't have waders, so they can't access my favorite spot (I have waders) and they can't over fish the area. 

OK, carry a net if you like. If he caught over twenty fish in ten minutes he probably didn't need the net, scenarios like that tend to make my point.

I'm not saying a net is necessary, but I'd prefer to see a net used as opposed to dragging a fish across the ground. 

As you say, the precautions we think to use "down here" don't apply "up there" because only weird people live "up there" and there aren't THAT many people THAT weird !!!

On point, I didn't actually critique TIER's video, it was okay.  I critiqued the lack of net and the proximity to the other angler.  With all that open water, you were effectively "right on top of him."

But again ... you weirdos like other people, because there's so few of you.

😉

28 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I'm not saying a net is necessary, but I'd prefer to see a net used as opposed to dragging a fish across the ground. 

As you say, the precautions we think to use "down here" don't apply "up there" because only weird people live "up there" and there aren't THAT many people THAT weird !!!

On point, I didn't actually critique TIER's video, it was okay.  I critiqued the lack of net and the proximity to the other angler.  With all that open water, you were effectively "right on top of him."

But again ... you weirdos like other people, because there's so few of you.

😉

He actually stole my spot lol. I was Just changing my fly

At 4:10, you say, "Right when I just came ... this guy just caught one."  Doesn't sound like he stole your spot.

🤪

That's what I was saying, respect other people, respect the fish. 😁

OK, James, ready for your rebuttal.