Fly Tying

Hi Guys,

What type/materials of fly body dubbing tends to be the most hydrophobic (resistance to water logging)?

TIA!

G

synthetics for the most part do not absorb water and are easier to dry out.

Polypropylene not Polyester is not only water resistant it has a positive buoyancy. Check out Fly-Rite Company.

48-colors

I used to use the 48-color packet for most of my dries.  However, I've found most any dubbing will float if you treat it with Gink - even wool.

Wapsi superfine is another polypropylene dubbing, and you can buy a 12 color box for about $1 a color retail.

On the natural side beaver also does the job you're looking to accomplish, again about $1 a color. Not sure what's "the most" hydrophobic, though.

6 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Not sure what's "the most" hydrophobic, though.

Thinking it is that stuff ya use on them “flying fish” patterns that won’t even land on water, before getting ate up.... 

😎😎🎣🎣✌️✌️

Fly tyers dungeon, has a nice floating dubbing I really like all their stuff is synthetic so it won't take up much water no matter which you choose, his pricing is good too.