Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kerusso

Broke Rod

Had a great weekend fishing my favorite tailrace.  Driving back to the cabin my rod broke.  It is not a fancy rod but is my "go to" rod because of the feel.  I have just learned earlier today the owner of the company that sells the rod has died.  I called his place of business in the hopes someone else was running it and the phone number is not longer valid.  

The rod is a Heritage 9ft 5wt 3 pc rod. The top two sections were involved in the break which occurred where the tip section slips into the ferrule of the second section.  It was a clean break and the top section is still in the ferrule.  I think I could get that piece out with a little work.  My question is this ….. can components from other rod manufacturers fit this particular rod?  The rod is black in color.  Or, it is time to use the two remaining piece for tomato stakes?

Thank you

Greg

1 minute ago, kerusso said:

Had a great weekend fishing my favorite tailrace.  Driving back to the cabin my rod broke.  It is not a fancy rod but is my "go to" rod because of the feel.  I have just learned earlier today the owner of the company that sells the rod has died.  I called his place of business in the hopes someone else was running it and the phone number is not longer valid.  

The rod is a Heritage 9ft 5wt 3 pc rod. The top two sections were involved in the break which occurred where the tip section slips into the ferrule of the second section.  It was a clean break and the top section is still in the ferrule.  I think I could get that piece out with a little work.  My question is this ….. can components from other rod manufacturers fit this particular rod?  The rod is black in color.  Or, it is time to use the two remaining piece for tomato stakes?

Thank you

Greg

I would ask our resident guru, Steeldrifter?

Can you post a couple close up pics of the break Greg? Sometimes repairs can be done with doing inner or over-sleeves, turning into spigot style ferrules etc etc, but just depends where and how bad the break is. Pics would help.

Steve

Steve's the authority, as far as I am concerned.  But to answer your question ... I HAVE matched one rod's tip to another rod's base and used a perfectly functional combination for years.  Done it twice, in fact.  Both of them functioned well until further damages or losses caused me to replace them.  If you've got a rod with a busted up cork handle, say, check the pieces to see if it's tip section will fit.

Best bet ... NO, it can't be fixed.  Perfect reason to talk the significant other into allowing Steve to build you a custom rod.

19 hours ago, kerusso said:

The rod is en route to Steve's for repair.  Thank you for your input.

He does some great repairs and restorations.