Fly Tying
Piker20

Anyone using a mulching lawn mower?

I'm not sure if these are a big thing over in US but anyone if they use one, does the lawn have a lot of small grass pieces left which pets collect and drag inside?

That's what mulching is ... re-cutting the grass blades until they're too small to cut.  Makes them decay faster and fertilize the lawn.  We don't have animals that come in and go out, so I'm the only one dragging stuff in from the yard. 

I don't use a mulching mower, since our yard is big enough and the critters that compost the grass are pretty efficient.

I haven't bagged grass in probably 40 years or more.

Using a good mulching mower, with sharp and *proper* mulching blades (yes, there is a difference), there is very little residue after cutting. Of course, if you allow the grass to grow too long between cuttings, you'll have clumping, but otherwise, mulching is clean and tidy. 

I currently cut six acres, and we have two dogs that are free to go in and out as they please. We never have a problem with cuttings being brought in on their feet. 

If done properly, the cuttings are chopped up into fine pieces that fall back down between the standing blades of grass. Mulching is definitely the way to go. 

I've never had good luck with them even cutting weekly it leaves clumps from my past experiences with multiple mowers.

+ 1 on the big yards.   Constant task keep mower going, blades sharp, belts,  grass grows so fast.  Be thankful you can just worry about mulching...🥴😏.    I found I get more life outa reg blades ie more metal/stouter blades then the mulch blades with the jazzy notches.   😡 Block/tackle lift, un bolt blade with impact, straighten blade, resharpen w/grinder put back.    Big fire ant bed snuck up on me full throttle 😳 

BTW Fellars, since most tie fliers are DIYers here’s the best addition to your tools. Cut anything dang near it wood/ metal remote with jazzy new 20 v batry Dewalt 4” cutting grinder and reciprocating saw!😉

CC3144FF-F800-43A6-BD89-C406BB4FE348.png

65628A19-E51F-495C-B204-12195BDFCC21.jpeg

2D8A1021-D75B-462E-BECA-573AEA6AEE38.png

I've only been buying the mulching blades for my mower for several years. I got tired of replacing them so often so bought 6 sets. I have a 42" riding mower, and the blades now are made from regular steel, so they don't last long. My property is only 2/3 acre, but the soil is sandy and dry, and plenty of small twigs & pine needles and that wears down the blades. It is what it is, and I still get some clumps of grass sometimes. I will sometimes rake it up & put it around bushes as it helps keep the moisture in the ground, and of course slows the weeds from growing. 

Yes I do use mulching lawn mowers.  They are called cows. Sorry couldn't help it. 😁 Been so dry here that the electric fence isn't working because they aren't grounding out when they hit it. Been a real pain in my backside for the last few weeks.

As far as mulching bladed are concerned they can be very good or bad.  They do a good job of putting down some material that helps keep in moisture and that is a good thing in hot dry weather.  Unfortunately in cooler wetter climates that can also lead to smothering and rot.  As far as bits and pieces is concerned unless you sweep/bag up the clippings they can get tracked in the house but I'm not sure it's any worse than with a regular lawn mower blade though.

Swamp

9 hours ago, denduke said:

I found I get more life outa reg blades ie more metal/stouter blades then the mulch blades with the jazzy notches.   😡Block/tackle lift, un bolt blade with impact, straighten blade, resharpen w/grinder put back.    

CC3144FF-F800-43A6-BD89-C406BB4FE348.png

If that is what you manage to do with "more metal, stouter blades", may I recommend that you consider grooming your lawn with a bulldozer, and just skipping any sort of mower? 😜

And after a bend like that, I'd spring for a new blade, and forgo any straightening. 

6 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Yes I do use mulching lawn mowers.  They are called cows. 

Yeah, they are like my wife's pets. 

The dogs are the indoor pets, the cows are the outdoor pets (at least I'm winning that fight, for now.....).

I'd much rather deal with mower clippings being tracked into the house than the cow "mulchings"! 

IMG_20200521_123918~2.jpg

Mulching blades are very popular in the U.S. I had them and quickly went back to a high lift regular blade and bagging my grass when I had kids and a dog. Mulching blades work great until your grass gets high then they aren't much different from a regular blade and they leave clumps of grass or bigger pieces of grass.  If your grass gets tall  then you have to double cut by cutting once at a higher level and a second time at a lower level if you want the grass to be mulched. I'm not cutting my grass twice. I would not classify what they leave behind as micros or fine particle but the grass is definitely cut into very short pieces. 

When I say high I don't mean field high grass. It doesn't take much growth to lower the effectiveness of the cut on a mulching blade. If you can get out and cut your grass every 4 or 5 days mulching blades are great. If your like me and go every 6 or 7 days you will have times where it works great and times not so great. 

Dogs are bringing it in the house regardless. You just may not see it so readily. I wipe my feet before entering the house and employ  a roomba vacuum cleaner that works great for daily vacuuming so I don't sweat a little grass that may get in the house. 

LOL, I had a calf follow me into the house once. The wife thought it was hilarious, the dog had a look on her like "We can do that, we can bring my friends in the house?!!!", but the cat was not amused.

Nice looking herd.  Typical cows though: "Whaaat's going on? Got sumtin' to eat?"  Cat's have nothing on cows as far as curiosity is concerned.  Before moving here, my mother used to come visit every year and one year she decided to take a folding beach lounge outside and read a book.  She abandoned that in a hurry when one of the cows started licking her feet! You'd have though she was being mauled by a gator listening to the yelling. I quietly put the pistol back into it's hidey hole...

Swamp

10 minutes ago, Swamp Fly said:

LOL, I had a calf follow me into the house once. The wife thought it was hilarious, the dog had a look on her like "We can do that, we can bring my friends in the house?!!!", but the cat was not amused.

That's awesome!

And I can *SOOOO* picture the dog's expression! 😅

I agree with PD.

Another thing to consider is that to really get the bade to work to it's fullest potential you need to block the discharge chute on the lawnmower.  The idea is that you turn the lawn mover into a big food processor which cuts the grass over and over.  This can make thick/tall grass problematic, you need a powerful mower to be able to mow at "normal" speeds or the mower get overwhelmed and spits out a big grass ball.

I'm not saying mulching blades are bad, not at all.  Like with everything though nothing is for free. For a gain in one area you get a change in another.

Swamp

14 minutes ago, Swamp Fly said:

Typical cows though: "Whaaat's going on? Got sumtin' to eat?"  Cat's have nothing on cows as far as curiosity is concerned.

Absolutely.

Get anywhere in sight, and the entire herd will trot 400 yards to come see what you're doing! 

And then just as quickly lose interest and go back to whatever they were doing. 

Again, kinda like the cat thing.