Fly Tying
skeet3t

Soft hackle?

What do you tiers use for a soft hackle fly?  I see partridge is used a lot but asking if there are some alternatives. TIA.

I use mostly starling for my soft hackle nymphs, occasionally partridge.  I also have pheasant, quail, even some parrot.   I've used guinea hen and spey hackle for larger flies.  

Below is my standard PT Nymph tied with starling, and a larger one I tied for a CFR retreat where sunfish and bass are the main target.

PC050329.JPG

P9140281 (2).JPG

hi regarding hackles for north counrty spiders it depends on which one you are talking about the simple answer to your question is to get Rodger Foggs (book) North Country Spiders I have this book and it's very good  north country spiders are basically sparsely dressed wet flies the right way to dress them the body is half the hook length   and hackles range from partridge breast feathers to snipe = snipr & purple,  partridge = partridge & orange this will give you a starting point but the book would be more helpful hope this is of some use to you

kind regards Steve 

Grouse (Partridge if you're from Maine), hen backs, Ring Neck Pheasant skins (male and female) are all good sources that won't set you back a lot of money.  Don't forget to look on the wings of any of those birds - the feathers may look too small but you only want one or two wraps out of the feather.

Hen hackle is also widely used. It's very cheap and can be obtained in many colors, dyed and natural. It makes a great looking fly, too.

hun, grouse, chukar, starling, CDC hen saddle, hen cape and sometimes I'll go through my pheasant feather collection to pick out something.

Starling, mallard coverts, English red grouse, moorhen, snipe, jackdaw, woodcock, various quail, and you can always use hen.

All good suggestions.  Having friends who belong to a gun club are friends worth having !🙂

Many thanks for the replies. Been away for waaay to long. Have a grandson who will be getting a fly rod outfit for his birthday in a couple of days. Have another grandson who will be on the list soon when he sees what his cousin got.

Will go through my materials to see what I have.

Using ring neck pheasant  lately, but I have used hen backs and capes, starling, prairie chicken, ruffed grouse, golden pheasant,  sage hen, and  feathers from domestic roosters. I prefer the game birds.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:12 AM, steve sparkie said:

hi regarding hackles for north counrty spiders it depends on which one you are talking about the simple answer to your question is to get Rodger Foggs (book) North Country Spiders I have this book and it's very good  north country spiders are basically sparsely dressed wet flies the right way to dress them the body is half the hook length   and hackles range from partridge breast feathers to snipe = snipr & purple,  partridge = partridge & orange this will give you a starting point but the book would be more helpful hope this is of some use to you

kind regards Steve 

I tie a lot of North Country spiders and other wet flies..  During my research of these simple, yet elegant flies years ago, I collected quite a few books on soft hackle flies.  Among the authors I've found to be helpful are Robert Smith, Mike Harding, Dave Hughes, Sylvester Nemes, Leisenring and Hidy, Leslie Magee, Edmonds and Lee, and several others who interpreted Skues and Pritt.