Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TSFISH

Surf Candy Tie

The second one is blue bucktail, a little crystal flash, a black hackle feather and white 3D fiber.

The third one is SF fiber, a little crystal flash, a black hackle feather and white 3D fiber. 

I must say, I also like the use of body braid on the shrimp body. What size is the braid and where did you find it in that size? 

Long black hackle huh.  Flexible prolly better.  But fast stripping the flex coil ones might look fishy.     The shrimp is a Squid(?).   Got the stuff at Mikey’s DollarTree, kids hair deal.     The other bags full came from party store.   The best came from fly supply  3/8 and it’s softer and flat.  There’s a post WW of some more.   To make them hold their shape once you decide you gotta smear little CA glue on to make them hold that shape.  There’s some white and tan around that they make crab bodies.

2C59F5DC-69F6-4C16-995C-66F3586BA852.jpeg

916814C5-584A-4691-82CE-4F97D44F03DB.jpeg

6922D6A8-8777-49EA-BD1C-25611CD6C7A9.jpeg

Of course it's a squid. I have no idea why I typed shrimp. I didn't even know I said shrimp until you pointed it out. I'm blaming sun stroke. I broke out my power washer today and it seems once I pull it out, everything is dirty and needs a good cleaning. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:03 AM, mikechell said:

Good looking color work, TS.  How much time do you have in that?

Hi Mate, 

I generally am not in a rush when I tie these, so I’d say they take about 45 mins to 1 hour each.

You could finish them quicker, but I enjoy the process, so take my time.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:45 AM, vicente said:

Tsfish did you use mica powder to color the base layer of that epoxy?

Hi Mate, 

I use eye shadow! There is a lot of perfect colour options available.

On 5/30/2020 at 6:57 AM, denduke said:

Hey Mate, thought I might interject my type of candies.   I use Solarez UV resin and do colors between coats mostly with sharpies.   I use lotta glitter dust on stuff too.  Might work for you.   I wanted to get the shine/mirror look to some so used silver wrapping ribbon for the heads and used sharpies for coloring instead of metal foil.   I’m too lazy with epoxy anymore....But use alots of SallyHansenHardAsNails to add outer coats sometimes.  Some big poppers with dust and flash wrapped bodies then   UVed them.   Just about completely stopped painting poppers use glitter dust and resin or SHAns.

AFBA67D6-7B1B-40F0-899E-6CC338D4F7A2.png

32D464EA-008D-4834-AD73-3C907A37074E.jpeg

1C8C665F-7D39-412E-B70E-2278BDBE4393.jpeg

15865F21-77D8-46B5-8F2A-9C7703CDE1AF.jpeg

F52DB4E5-5A74-46A3-B0CB-22AAC638506C.jpeg

Hey Mate,

They look good. I bet they catch! 
Once you start getting creative, sky’s the limit as they say!

11 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I tie my sand eels with body braid. Quick, simple and effective. Body braid allows the underlying colors to shine through, takes sharpies well and eyes stick to it without issue. A simple coat of Sally Hanson completes it.

sand eel.jpg

They look the goods Mate.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:00 AM, denduke said:

Saw where a guy used flex coils for candy bodies.  I’m working on a squid with the flex coil body.   In progress

8069904A-2166-40FB-AAFB-A8422A515F6E.png

C2E045CA-26C1-4DD0-85C7-EAF82727A8A6.png

23B4F014-00C3-4EDA-9E80-D3198F3BA4C7.jpeg

Mate they look good. I’ll have to try that material!

11 hours ago, denduke said:

Thanks for the idea. What’s in the middle two?   Wonder where the Aussie went?   My first.   I don’t have the best colors....

A46BD89B-79A3-4E0B-8E7A-6E11584CB0F9.jpeg

Hey Mate,

I’m here, just been flat out.

Some nice ideas floating about...

2 hours ago, TSFISH said:

Hi Mate, 

I use eye shadow! There is a lot of perfect colour options available.

Nice looks, similar to mica powder tons of colors of that available as well, I use pearlex pretty often with epoxies.

Tried big one with inner body and detached head....hopefully this stuff is soft enough I haven’t destroyed the hook bite on this one.   🤔Tied the legs, feathers on a short piece of coffee stirrer stuck on nail to vise then into the flex to tie, glue.   Did the eyes with Solarez after glue was dry

966BBF65-5749-48A5-AA6E-062D8CEE6E2F.jpeg

Considering bass get hooked through a ball of soft plastic in their mouth, I think you'll be safe with that mesh, Denduke.