Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

classicflytying.com-longshot

Hello,

I am a long time member of the Flytyingforum suite of sites. It's been a looooong time since I've participated on any of the sites but especially long since I've been on the original flytyingforum. It seems that several of the sites have developed some issues. I was heavily involved in classicflytying.com especially in its heyday. It took a huge downturn since then. However, recently there was a big renaissance with a lot of the long-time members participating again, including myself and even Bud Guidry who was really instrumental in the forum's success. Unfortunately, about a week ago when I tried going to the site, I got a driver error. I've tried it every day since, and I get the same message. From what I've heard, whoever was able to actually manage the site, has been unable to for quite some time, so things have gone unnoticed or unfixed. I'm hopeful that someone here is able to look into the issue or knows who to contact to potentially remedy the situation. There are other classic fly tying forums, but none of them mean much to me the same way classicflytying.com does/did. Do any of the moderators here have any insight on this issue? I appreciate any attention able to be given to this.

Thanks!

Alex

Hey Alex, Will (Smalliehunter) is the owner of the sites. While I manage them he is actually the owner/software guy so he would be the one that would need to look into issues such as that. He's a busy guy and sometimes hard to get a hold of but drop him a message and hopefully he will be able to look into it.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the tip. I remember Will from back in the day, but wasn't sure he was still the owner. I will send him a message and see what he can do. Hope you're doing well and thanks!

I hope that's not the end of the classflytying.com site while not a heavy poster there is so much information in the tutorials and posts there. This is not the first time it has been down for this long. But as Alex said the site was making a come back with everyone being positive and really getting rolling again miss it already.

Guest Bud guidry

Yea that was a bummer, I started participating again, the good guys were coming back then proof, gone. I've checked likely a thousand times, never came back

Hey Bud, same here. I checked daily hoping things would come back. It was exciting having some of the old crew back. I miss the early days of FTF when each subsection of the forum had it's own "experts": the salmon fly tyers, the warmwater tyers, the realistic tyers. Gonna try increasing participation here in the salmon fly section to try to re-kindle that old layout, but we'll see. It's a changing online landscape.

Guest Mark Mercer

Bud, I too was sorry to hear about your health issues, but was really glad to see you posting again (Geert too) Been awhile since I posted any classic's on CFT but checked in often. Found this site trying to see if I could find out what happened as I was starting to tie a few classics again. I learned so much from you and so many others on the CFT. 

Hopefully we will all find out what and why CFT disappeared?

I too was a regular on the CFT site (user name - Classic Salmon Fly Tyer) and was very sorry to see the site give up the ghost.

As I understand it, the issues were primarily technological...as in never being kept up to date, routine maintenance neglected, that sort of thing.

It was simply running on Thompson Model A software in a 2020 Renzetti Master/HMH TRV world.

There were some issues with personality clashes as well, but I suspect that sort of thing can happen anywhere, anytime and can always be put behind the individuals involved...or at least I would hope so.

The truly sad thing above the loss of the camaraderie is the loss of an unbelievable treasure trove of fly tying information - techniques, patterns, history, personal connections, etc, etc.

A software engineer friend told me that information is out there in cyber space someplace, all that is needed is locating it and bringing all together in such a way it is accessible to those of us who were active and for the benefit of those who never had taken advantage of what the site offered. Truly sad!!

To you guys that were users/regulars of the classic tying site - I was able to get a hold of Will to get the info for me to be able to get back into the admin panel here on this site (FTF) recently. Since the update here awhile back I had not been able to access that, but now can once again. I need to relearn some of the things in the admin panel again as some of it looks different since the site update. If you guys would like then when I get some free time I could try to make a new "classic & Artistic" forum/section here on FTF for you guys again so that you have somewhere to be active and share things again. Let me know if that's something you guys would like?

Steve

YES PLEASE! there is a ton of reference material on that site adding it to this site would be the bomb. Steve "spare time" , honestly I don't know if you ever sleep or rest at this point without adding more to your plate.

You're gonna love this... It's called the "wayback machine." It randomly records and archives websites all over the internet at various moments in time. You just type in the site you're looking for, and it gets you a means of going "way back" to various dates in the history of the site. Here's what Wayback recorded last from classicflytying.com, on January 30, 2020. It can't bring back the live forum commeraderie, but it gets you all the archival stuff you are missing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200130170758/http://www.classicflytying.com/

Well, I may have spoken too soon. It looks like a lot of the url pages have not been archived by wayback. It's going to be hit and miss, I'm afraid.