Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iroc_Jeff

Favorite War Movies

Since this weekend usually has some blocks of war movies on TV what are some of your favorites? Do you like classic ones, modern ones? I used to like watching Turner Classic Movies's lineup of war films when I had cable. Overall, I would pick Stalag-17 as being my favorite war movie, and one of my favorite films as well.

Downfall is another great movie, easy to follow even though its subtitled. If you haven't seen it its really worth the watch.

I'd say my top ones are Platoon, Red Dawn (original), The Big Red One, and Patton. Lots more as well, there are a bunch of really good ones, but those would be my top ones.

Never heard of Downfall, will have to check it out.

I haven't seen the first two that Iroc_Jeff mentioned but I love all the rest except I have never watched Patton yet.  Kelly's Hero's and Where Eagles Dare are two of my all time favorites.    I like the Dirty Dozen a lot too.  I like anything with Charles Bronson or Clint Walker in it or Donald Sutherland also.  My all time favorite show is Hogan's Hero's followed very closely by Combat' the series with Vic Morrow and Rick Jason.....in my opinion Combat is one of the best tv shows ever because of the lessons of morals, values and honor that are taught in just about every episode.  Gotta mention McHale's Navy too if you need some laughs.  Fury was an intense movie but I guess the most intense too me is Rambo, the next to last movie.  When he is on that gun and just blowing holes through the bad guys it is awesome to me. You can hear the rounds hitting the shield in front and singing by and you can almost place yourself there gripping the handle and keeping that trigger down.....looking for your next target....

I like war movies...

36 minutes ago, netabrookie said:

Fury was an intense movie

That one was actually a pretty good one. I didn't expect much from Brad Pitt in a war movie but he surprised me in that and did a real good job.

Tora, Tora, Tora!!

Midway

Heaven Knows, Mr Allison

Hamburger Hill

Enemy at the Gates

12 Strong

War Horse

Shooter      ?

Lone Survivor

The Longest Day

Bridge Over the River Kwai 

Where Eagles Dare

Dirty Dozen

Full Metal Jacket 

Pearl Harbor

Inglorios Bastards

Letters From IwoJima

Saving Private Ryan

Big Red One

BridgeToo Far

Black Sheep Squadron.... just liked the ideas of Marines going into a fight ...face-first, at 450 to 650 feet per second.... and they Liked It.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Those are some pretty good lists. Here's a few more that are good that kinda get bypassed a lot. I tried posting links to trailers but got an error.. You can find that stuff on your own :)

Memphis Belle

Tuskegee Airmen  (The HBO movie)

Fatherland (Murder mystery, Germany won WW2 in Europe and is opening up to the West in the 60's) 

Mister Roberts

Das Boot

My top five ... not necessarily in order:

Starship Troopers

Independence Day

Ender's Game

Battle: Los Angeles

Enemy Mine

The Fighting Seabee's (John Wayne)

The Green Berets (John Wayne, it has Seabee's in it)

Might say I'm a little partial of the mud bug that us Confused Bastards wear. All kidding aside I am more of reader than a movie person, unless commander in chief house, directs me to watch with her. She hasn't dragged me to a theater since the Hunt for Red October at the New London Base Theater. There I was a lone dirt sailor surrounded by bubbleheads...…...

Black Hawk Down

Full Metal Jacket

Jarhead

Just watched 1917 last night. excellent! nearly "one shot" panning so there's no cuts. 

I've always thought a good war movie should elevate the warrior(s), not war.  And I thank God for those who have seen combat, including my dad, brothers, and brother's in law.  

If you can call Independence Day a war movie it is really the only one I've ever liked. Just not big on them. Saving Private Ryan was good bug mainly I'm a Tom Hanks groupie.