Fly Tying
flytire

June Flies From the Vise

So these aren’t flies.  But earrings for the wife.  Lol!  Figure she is kind enough to let me sit at the vise hours in a day, I can spend a few minutes making her jewelry!  

4333DB03-6C38-43A4-86E2-1A91C213F587.jpeg

May I suggest to all that jewelry made from fly tying materials should emphasize synthetics and widely available natural items.  If the earings etc. catch on, soon there will be commercial copies on offer made in China  that will dry up and drive up the cost of already scarce feathers and hair.  

Rocco

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

May I suggest to all that jewelry made from fly tying materials should emphasize synthetics and widely available natural items.  If the earings etc. catch on, soon there will be commercial copies on offer made in China  that will dry up and drive up the cost of already scarce feathers and hair.  

Rocco

Seriously???  Ok well I won’t share anymore dang man...  lol   

so is this the consensus of the rest of the group?  Or is it just one guy?  Cause I’m not the only one to have made earrings out of feathers. In fact I got the idea from earrings I saw online.  They are everywhere.  

No problem here. Feathers as hair accessories and earrings, etc. have been around for many, many years. I was going to make a pair of earrings for an old girlfriend, but she didn't like the look. Don't worry, you won't make the feather industry any worse than it is now. I think the biggest problem is that all the feathers are sold in large volumes to the overseas factories, which doesn't leave much for the smaller shops.

Miss-Sharon-1080.jpg

Miss Sharon

Hook - Wet fly style, #8 rear, #6 front

Thread - Red

Connector - .018 or .024 diameter beadalon wire or 30# monofilament

Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel

Body - Red floss or uni stretch

Wing - Black over orange over white over red bucktail tied extremely sparse

Tying note: Orientation of the rear hook may be pointed upward or downward if desired

Reference - Tandem Streamers - Donald A Wilson

Goes back to when people were making big money selling their hackles to hair dressers.

1cc793e8a743c96cf4f3ceb281cec7e2.jpg

Fad ... I don't think it permanently changed the prices of necks and saddles.

Did it?

1 hour ago, McFlyLures said:

Cool!  Thanks feathers.  That’s what I figured 

McFly I've been catching and enjoying your vids -  I remember a post here somewhere that said song bird feathers became illegal for use in tying because back in the early 20th century when women's hats were decorated with them.  At the time they were so popular the federal government had ban their use to protect the dwindling populations.  That said I wouldn't worry to much about a pair of earrings created from U.S. legal stock birds (nice work by the way).

Anyway before the thread gets to far off topic, a very simple aquatic worm pattern I like in fast water.

IMG_5774.thumb.JPG.0b8cf9504b12f82641809a5add379926.JPG

IMG_5780.thumb.JPG.78b80a1c6010301540ec79f93c3c87b0.JPGIMG_5776.thumb.JPG.fbee0792db8c291db72dbdd01a3c0922.JPG

4 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Seriously???  Ok well I won’t share anymore dang man...  lol   

so is this the consensus of the rest of the group?  Or is it just one guy?  Cause I’m not the only one to have made earrings out of feathers. In fact I got the idea from earrings I saw online.  They are everywhere.  

Remember sometime back when girls started wearing hair extensions from saddle hackles.  The price of hackles absolutely sky-rocketed.  I think those little Whiting mini packets were selling to hairdressers and on eBay for several hundred dollars a pack.  The fad, like all fads, soon died off. 

Oops, I didn't see Mike's post when I wrote this.

These size 10 foam pencil poppers are working so well ...

foam pencil popper 1.jpg

... I decided to make some larger ones on size 4 Aberdeen hooks.

foam pencil popper 2.jpg