Fly Tying
Jacks Grampa

Background behind vise

👍 for a longtime now.  Even if you don’t have eye trouble it’s very helpful.

I’ve been using a piece of light grey foam for years - a little easier on my eyes than white paper.

Regards,
Scott

A neutral background as well as large diffused light source will also help.
Much of the task lighting is of a point source, such as LED's.
I use two architect lamps with a piece frosted corrugated plastic. The plastic is from political/real estate signage.
The lighting cuts the contrast and your eyes don't get as tired as fast.
You also need to rest your eyes every once in a while by just looking at some else.

Kimo

My position to the fly has me looking more downward than most, I guess.  The only thing I see behind the fly is table top.  But I do tend to keep that part of the table clear, so I guess it could be considered a backdrop like your paper.

I don't care how old you are, if there is a lot of  clutter behind a fly vise, it makes hard on the eyes to focus on the fly.  I have always used a back drop.  Try it. You will like it. Way easier on your eyes.

5 hours ago, Jacks Grampa said:

That desk is entirely too tidy.

I disagree.  Nothing wrong with a nice, clean work area!  If it still looks like that, DF ... More power to you !!!

Light or dark foam sheet on desk depending on what the material is.  I like the big 1/8" thick sheets in various colors and have a small stack for tying and background use.

3 hours ago, knotjoe said:

Light or dark foam sheet on desk depending on what the material is.  I like the big 1/8" thick sheets in various colors and have a small stack for tying and background use.

Yes, different colored foam sheets is what I typically use, but the small size.  I hang it from the shroud of my tying lamp with a magnet.  The only problem I've run into is: I just re-organized my fly tying area/materials and I can't find my foam sheets. ?!?!