Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GaryS

Regal Revolution for Streamers

Good Morning all:  This is my first post on this forum, and I'm brand new to tying.  Looking at the array of vices available I'm really liking the Regal Revolution.  My question is:  Can this vice be used to tie a streamer in the rotating position?  Just wondering if there is enough room behind the jaw for a longer tail.  Also, is there something available similar to the Norvise system whereby I can hang the bobbin and have enough room to apply dubbing by rotating the head?  Thank you all in advance for any guidance.

HELL YEAH! I have one and I LOVE it. I will never need another vise.

They sell a bobbin cradle.

But if you are a beginner there are less expensive vises, Griffin sells some good ones (Spider Cam rotary, etc) but if you are set on the Regal, you may never need another one.

I use the Nor-vise system which spins at a much higher speed than almost all the rotary vises.  I also have a Dyna-King Sidewinder, it will spinn but not nearly as fast as the Nor-vise.  I can apply dubbing along the thread with either of these vises.  The Sidewinder is long out of production, and Dyna-King has nothing link it now.  

With a standard vise, applying dubbing is best done with either a split thread or a dubbing loop, then you can simply spin the split thread with the bobbin, or a dubbing spinner for a loop of thread.  

I also have an older Regal and I have no problem tying larger streamers on that.

I know nothing about the vise you're questioning.  BUT ... welcome to the site !!!

You can tie large streamers on any vise, even the India made ones that cost $40. The only limitation is if the jaws open wide enough for thick wire hooks, even then you don't have to use thick wire hooks. Just sayin.

Having owned a Regal, I personally don't like Regal Vices because they "spit" small hooks. they are also not a true rotary vise that rotates around the axis of the hook.

The revolution is a "rotating" vise that and turn the hook over if you have it set up level as in the image below. And when set up to rotate the hook horizontally, how do you mount a small hook to without the jaws getting in the way at the back of the hook?

regal-revolution-200-26c.jpg

And if you have it set up with the head angled up, it won't rotate the fly so the hook shank stays level.

Regal-Revolution-Fly-Tying-Vise.png

I strongly suggest buying a TRUE ROTARY vise that does everything well. A Renzetti Salt Water Traveller is my suggestion which is cheaper than the Regal you are looking at.

They no longer spit small hooks, at least not this model. I have tied down to 30 on mine, never spit a single hook. The problem is with the older ones. And if you look at the jaw, it IS actually a true rotary because the jaw itself is offset from the head. So your hook does in fact rotate true unless it is tilted.

5 hours ago, samsonboi said:

They no longer spit small hooks, at least not this model. I have tied down to 30 on mine, never spit a single hook. The problem is with the older ones. And if you look at the jaw, it IS actually a true rotary because the jaw itself is offset from the head. So your hook does in fact rotate true unless it is tilted.

I didn't notice the offset head. You are correct!

@SilverCreek I like the standard jaws enough to keep using them and not get the smaller stainless jaws right now, but I want to get the stainless jaws as they are much smaller and better in every way for all hooks smaller than a 6. I rarely tie larger than that anyway and the standard jaws are great for biggish streamer hooks and decent for smallish hooks for dries and wets. But the stainless jaws are the best there is.

Wow! That's a lot of info.  Thank you very much for all the help and guidance. I can't wait to get started.  I think when the fly shop up in Hayward, WI opens back up I'll go see the guys and try a few out.  Take care all and thank you again.

When the CV-19 thing is over, make a trip to the Badger Fly Fisher's Spring Opener in Madison, Wi. It in early Feb and has 2 rooms full of demo Fly tyers. I am usually in the Fist Room.

https://badgerflyfishers.org/spring-opener/

The Central Wi Chapter of TU holds Troutfest in Winneconne, Wi. I tie at that event also.

https://www.cwtu.org/troutfest.htm

WHAT!!!! YOUR GUYS ARE FROM WISCONSIN!!! The only fly shop I have found other than cabelas is The Sportsman in Appleton. The guys there are great and they even bought some of my flies. I am going to check those events out they sound like a pot of fun!

On 6/11/2020 at 8:41 AM, Landon P said:

WHAT!!!! YOUR GUYS ARE FROM WISCONSIN!!! The only fly shop I have found other than cabelas is The Sportsman in Appleton. The guys there are great and they even bought some of my flies. I am going to check those events out they sound like a pot of fun!

Landon,

there are quite a few fly shops in Wisconsin and sport shops that sell fly fishing stuff. Here is a list:

https://wiflyfisher.com/Wisconsin-Fly-Fishing-Shops.asp

On 6/12/2020 at 8:57 AM, SilverCreek said:

Landon,

there are quite a few fly shops in Wisconsin and sport shops that sell fly fishing stuff. Here is a list:

https://wiflyfisher.com/Wisconsin-Fly-Fishing-Shops.asp

None of them are by me. I meant the closest was in Appleton but that will be nice if I am traveling.