Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mask elastic

54 minutes ago, denduke said:

Grubbs  prolly won’t last long this stuff deteriorates....

AF35C63F-3C65-407E-9E1D-34AF1016027F.jpeg

0E5D27A2-7038-471F-B67F-7FBC7EACDBE2.png

I've used  single strands of spinner bait skirts for some soft hackles I tied.  I've got a family christening to go to in mid-July.  The house is located on Upper Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks.  There's a dock to fish off.  My nephew brought his 3 year old a kid's fishing rod.  I figured why not tie some grubs up to put under his bobber instead of dealing with messy worms.  I'm still working on them, but I'll post some pictures when I'm done.  I was looking through one of the catalogs I get my spinner bait skirts and skirt layers from and they have a wide version of the skirt layers.  They're 0.06 inch, roughly 2 mm, wide. They should give more of the layered look that latex does.  I need some other materials that you can't find in fly fishing catalogs so I'm going to order some and give them a try.  Hopefully they'll catch Hank his first fish.

I did receive the wider spinner bait skirts and  tied some grubs up with them.  Haven't taken any pictures of them yet, but they have more of the look of the latex grubs denduke tied.  Did catch a 10 inch largemouth on a white one fishing off the dock at the place I was staying in the Adirondacks this past weekend.

Here's the first batch of "grubs"  I made out of spinner bait skirts.  Not really pleased with them.

P6280644.JPG

P6280646.JPG

Been tying similar rubber band nymphs for years. They really work well and are so easy to tie that losing them to the riverbed doesn't hurt.

17 hours ago, Philly said:

I did receive the wider spinner bait skirts and  tied some grubs up with them.  Haven't taken any pictures of them yet, but they have more of the look of the latex grubs denduke tied.  Did catch a 10 inch largemouth on a white one fishing off the dock at the place I was staying in the Adirondacks this past weekend.

Here's the first batch of "grubs"  I made out of spinner bait skirts.  Not really pleased with them.

P6280644.JPG

P6280646.JPG

So what do the fish think of them? Look OK to me.

They work.  The green, yellow, white and orange seem to catch more fish.  I just get OCD at times when I tie and the narrower strips are hard to get the ribbed look of latex with.  The newest batch of skirt layers I brought are just under 2 mm wide and these give a much better ribbing look, but they don't have the variety of colors of the narrower strips. 

I also have been using elastic bands for years, 1970 to be exact, And although they don't last I have taken a whole pile of fish on them. They are especially effective on Carp. What I do is go to the Dollar Store and pick up a bag of hair elastics. Get about 250 of them for a buck or two.

"why not tie some grubs up to put under his bobber instead of dealing with messy worms." I used to fish small creeks in central KY with an UL Zebco spincast outfit, cheap fly (10 for a dollar) and a small plastic bobber. Wife caught a 9 inch red breasted sunfish out of a pool about the size of your kitchen sink.

I use strips cut from latex rubber canning gloves, color them with markers then use softex to cover and offer a little protection.

caddislarve.jpg