Fly Tying
chugbug27

18 & Under on a Renzetti

With cataracts starting to kick in it sometimes seems like blind faith. If I contort my face as though recovering from a hard punch it seems to help.

21 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

With cataracts starting to kick in it sometimes seems like blind faith. If I contort my face as though recovering from a hard punch it seems to help.

Sorry to hear that. My mom had cataract surgery. Her lenses were replaced w/ trifocals. At 89 she has eagle eyes.

18 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I had cataract surgery in June 2018. It was like getting a new set of eyeballs...colors and sharpness vastly improved. FYI: Renzetti makes midge jaws, but I have never needed them and tie easily down to #22 ,with the standard jaws:

https://www.feather-craft.com/renzetti-midge-cam-jaws

PT/TB

Thanks @planettrout, I'm a long time admirer. I hope we see a lot more of you soon.

My Dr says cataract surgery's still a ways off. I can wait.

I've flirted with the idea of midge jaws, also with the idea of an HMH with a micro jaw. For now I'm sticking with, Where there's a will there's a way....

I've got a friend in Tennessee that says, "If you have cataracts, a few drops of 'Everclear' in your eyes each day will keep 'em as clear as store front glass."

I asked him if he used an eyedropper.  "No," he replied, "Just spill some in there when you take your 5th or 10th drink."

I should mention he's blind as a bat, but he's well known for his home-grown cures.

18 & Under on a Renzetti

I was going to say I don't know very many people under 18 years old that tie on a Renzetti, but I guess there could be a couple😁

sorry to resurrect a dated post but this is the exact reason why i tie on a traditional style vise versus a rotary one.  i find i get a lot more access to the bend of the hook in order to attach materials. this is important because tailing materials on small dry flies matter so much.  there are certain traditional vises out there that are able to change the axis of the jaws in order to achieve 160, 120, 90 degrees of vise head placement. the arm of a rotary vice often gets in the way especially if you are only tying small little trout flies or even little bass poppers/ deer hair. 

regal immediately comes to mind that allows for access to the back side of the hook but unless you buy their stainless jaws, the vise is rather clumsy in the smaller hook range.  I myself tie on a dyna king professional that has all the same qualities as a regal but also has, in my opinion, better engineered jaws as well as lock notches that ensure the chassis of your vise is able to drive nails. hmh is another rock solid traditional vise.  they will probably be my next vise to own; however, my dyna king pro has never failed me and i never once thought my flies would be better if i rotated them instead of my arms.

i feel as though the "true" rotary aspect is a nice idea but unless you're laying down supremely tight wrapped body material where every wrap needs to be perfect, like trad. salmon flies, it's not really all that needed. for the most part, i feel like the 6-7 wraps it would take to complete a size 18 fly can be better done without a clumsy, "true" rotary mechanic in the way and better achieved with your arms and a bobbin. it might be time for you to try tying on a quality, traditional vise. 

tl;dr: true rotary isn't really worth it in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, the.atmos said:

sorry to resurrect a dated post but this is the exact reason why i tie on a traditional style vise versus a rotary one.  i find i get a lot more access to the bend of the hook in order to attach materials. this is important because tailing materials on small dry flies matter so much.  there are certain traditional vises out there that are able to change the axis of the jaws in order to achieve 160, 120, 90 degrees of vise head placement. the arm of a rotary vice often gets in the way especially if you are only tying small little trout flies or even little bass poppers/ deer hair. 

regal immediately comes to mind that allows for access to the back side of the hook but unless you buy their stainless jaws, the vise is rather clumsy in the smaller hook range.  I myself tie on a dyna king professional that has all the same qualities as a regal but also has, in my opinion, better engineered jaws as well as lock notches that ensure the chassis of your vise is able to drive nails. hmh is another rock solid traditional vise.  they will probably be my next vise to own; however, my dyna king pro has never failed me and i never once thought my flies would be better if i rotated them instead of my arms.

i feel as though the "true" rotary aspect is a nice idea but unless you're laying down supremely tight wrapped body material where every wrap needs to be perfect, like trad. salmon flies, it's not really all that needed. for the most part, i feel like the 6-7 wraps it would take to complete a size 18 fly can be better done without a clumsy, "true" rotary mechanic in the way and better achieved with your arms and a bobbin. it might be time for you to try tying on a quality, traditional vise. 

tl;dr: true rotary isn't really worth it in my opinion. 

I have noticed this issue. I do like my Renzetti Traveler but some flys are difficult to access especially like tying the underside of things like Clouser Minnows. I know a lot of people seem to do it easy but for my hands.... I really like my rotary vise for a some things. I am not a super experienced tier by any standard but I think there is a place for both in my system. I have been thinking about a Regal Medallion to go with my R Travler. Use the Trailer for small flys or items where rotary is useful to me and use the Regal for streamers and things where I need the extra room.

2 cents. 

I tie for both fresh and salt and I appreciate the true rotary function on my vise when tying a lot of the salt water patterns. I would think those that tie the classic New England streamers would really appreciate the rotary function. Not all of us are locked into tying #18 and smaller.  When that happens I throw on my midge jaws. 🙂

Thanks for the added input. I've thought about the HMH, but I want to stick to the one vise. It did help to raise the Renzetti jaw vertically as I had pictured earlier and to position the set screw on the opposite side of the jaw. Eventually I'll probably get a midge jaw, if I can't figure out a better way meanwhile. I'm very happy with the Renzetti and use the rotary all the time.

Pbass, Renzetti also sells a straight arm vise jaw for tying streamers, which allows much better access to the underside of the Clouser Deep Minnow.  I purchased one years ago for my Renzetti Traveler.  You have to remove the rotary arm and replace it with the straight arm.  I tied all of the streamers I needed before I switched back to the rotary function to avoid the hassle of going back and forth from rotary to straight arm and back again,