Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

thundercreek style

i tied a few thundercreek flies using all satin material. i also added  some foam to make  the head larger and float possibly.  most instructions called for a 4xl hook,mine was size 4.  this fly worked great,looked great and got hit hard.  only problem was the bass mostly 12-15inches took the fly deeply. even with barbless most were hooked in the gill section..so i stopped using them.. any suggestions   richmce

Thin hemostats.  When they're hooked deep in the gills, you CAN get the hook out without much damage.  Holding the mouth open to see and to flare the gills, see the fly and which way the hook faces.  Reach up from through the gill plate, grab the hook by the eye and gently pull it to reverse the hooks position.  Then you can reach in through the mouth and grab the hook bend with the hemostats and pull the hook right out without much effort or damage.

Hook removal.jpg

Using a wide gap hook helps a lot, I like the b10s except for the price they're my ideal bass hook,  there are lots of similar ones out there for less money though.

I tie buck tail teasers which are basically a Thundercreek without using thread to make the head.  I wouldn't use a 4 xl to tie either.  A stinger hook or something like a Gamakatsu SC 15.  There are a lot of decent bass hooks out there.  I think 4 xl goes back to olden days when streamers were tied on long hooks.  I agree with vicente on the wide gap.  You also tie them on larger hook.   For bass I usually start at size 1 and go up from there.  The only time I had a fish take a lure that ended up in the gills was a pike that ate a 5 inch lure with treble hooks.  I took back to the lodge and they cleaned it for me after a bit of an argument since it was above size that they preferred you to release rather than keep.  I've never had to use the method Mike described.

Hi use a standard lure hook and tie a booby nymph with a sinking line the leader is  2-3Ft long  this method is deadly for bigger fish hope this helps

Kind regards Steve 😉

It sounds like you are just waiting a little too long to set the hook. The hook length or type of fly shouldn't have anything to do with a deep hook set. Make sure that you don't have much, if any slack line out so you can see or feel the take right away. You should be pleased as punch that your fly is working as well as it is. 

Regards,

Mark

it wasnt  timing as i saw the fish hit and get hooked and go airbourne 10 ft in front of me.  i will try a stinger  and being thinner may float higher      

4 hours ago, mvendon said:

It sounds like you are just waiting a little too long to set the hook.

Regards,

Mark

I don't know what fish you're referring to, Mark.  Bass inhale prey and blow the water out through the gills.  A small fly can be pulled in the mouth and expelled through the gills in a fraction of a second.  It doesn't matter how quickly you react, they're gill hooked.  Maybe trout "lip" the fly before taking it in, but bass don't give you that time. 

On the other hand, they CAN "lip" a lure ... many times  requiring that you wait until they've fully inhaled it.  Setting the hook too soon means a miss.  The video shows both situation with soft plastic lures.  With smaller lures and flies, the quick inhale is more frequent.

2:41 ... 3:54 ... 7:21 ... etc.   Pretty neat video.

tie them on smaller hooks (4xl is not always necessary)

size 10 tied with schlappen

Thunder_Creek_(Schlappen)_1080.jpg