Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Petitjean Magic Tools. Wtbw

I’ve been searching for a medium Petitjean Magic tool ( clip ) set. Seems that no one really wanted them and they are not a available any longer in the USA, well that’s what my local store told me. So if you have one you can part with could you contact me. I’m of course willing to pay a fair price. 
Barry

Kimo , thanks I already seen these. The last thing I ordered from Poland took months to arrive so I was hoping to find a set with a more reliable postal service. 

Understood.
I have a face shield sitting in quarantine in LA from China
that I have been waiting 2 months for.

Kimo

Hi the alternative is a Swiss CDC Multi-clip  which is easier to use and more reasonably priced checkout any fly tying tackle shop in the States

Kind regards Steve 😉

Here are instructions for a home made Magic Tool:

You will need thick foam blocks (from a thick pair of foam sandals), an old credit card, and a set of bulldog paper clamps. Cut a straight slit in the foam blocks from end to end. The slit has to reach to both ends of the foam blocks to be able to release the fibers later.

Put the CDC fiber stems over the slit in the foam block and pull the fibers into the slit by their ends. If the plumes do not extend over the end of the block and cannot be pulled in, use the old credit card to push the CDC fiber stems into the slit.

Use the paper clamp in the place of the transparent Petitjean clamp to hold the end of the CDC plumes. Open the slit in the foam block to release the fibers and you are in business. The CDC fibers are lined up, cut off the stem(s) and place the fibers into the dubbing loop.

With this simple set of homemade and cheap bought tools you can do what the Magic Tool does. See the instructions below:

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing1.htm

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing2.htm

I remember when Gander mountain had these on clearance for $15.
They retailed for $30 when they came out in early 2000.

Kimo

The prices now have gone way high I imagine that is why nobody is selling them. I see onEsty you can buy a set of look alike clips for under ten dollars but no table clamps, you have to make your own out a block of foam. I would prefer the real thing but that’s out of my budget

Barry

😉 I'd love to get my hands on an authentic Samurai Sword, but anything over $20.00 would be out of my budget.

If you want name brand, discontinued items, you have to be willing to pay the price.  Otherwise, start hitting every yard sale, maybe you'll get lucky.

Swords? I have guns, but seriously the prices that the Magic Tools are sold for is way over the top for a couple of plastic clips. When they were available in my local store the price was about $40 which I would pay. But I’m retired and on a fixed income, but if Mr Trump wants to give me another healthy payment I would spend in on a full priced Magic Tool set 

I think the prices are insane for little plastic clips.  I have different size bag clips that I have obtained over the years that work well for me.  The clips I have are all translucent and in different sizes (lengths?)   Some work as is and a couple have small strips of foam (approx. 1/8 inch) glued at the leading edges and hold materials great and they didn't dip into my wallet very deeply at all.  

...Now to completely get off the original subject and reply to Mike's Samurai sword comment.....Mike, when I was a younger fellow with a couple of hungry kids and a wife to feed I didn't make enough money at the NAPA store I worked at so I had no choice but to sell a couple guns and a Samurai sword to buy baby formula.  This wasn't one of the fake display swords you see around but a real one.   Before I moved to the mountains I took the sword to a dealer and he pulled the handle and showed me the information on the tang that the sword maker had inscribed and the sword was made around 1890 and it had belonged to the equivalent or our colonels rank.  The wrappings on the handle are pushed back and the shark skin is gently moved to expose the pegs holding the handle and after they are pressed out the handle slides off.  I sold that sword for $75.00.  A few months back I came across one online that looked identical and the price was $9,999.00.  I think I screwed up real bad......

On 6/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Bazzer69 said:

Swords? I have guns, but seriously the prices that the Magic Tools are sold for is way over the top for a couple of plastic clips. When they were available in my local store the price was about $40 which I would pay. But I’m retired and on a fixed income, but if Mr Trump wants to give me another healthy payment I would spend in on a full priced Magic Tool set 

To keep it on track, I have a complete set of the original including both clips, high priced but great scissors, the best dubbing loop spinner ever made IMO, and they are great and love them. Really like using the original items and willing to pay versus homemade or alternate substitutes. Just my choice.

"But I’m retired and on a fixed income,"  This has always been one of my favorite phrases you hear all the time. I ALSO am retired and on a fixed income. HEY, before I retired I was on a fixed income. Before that job I was on a fixed income. Whether it's hourly or salaried aren't most of us not in sales on a fixed income. Maybe some people count on their overtime but I didn't get any and knew what my pay was going to be each week. Isn't that a fixed income? My opinion is that is just something we say to try to talk down the price of something because deep down we're all cheap (Mike more so) and trying to get a bargain. 

I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for a set, but I object to paying more than the published recommended price. Fixed income, mine is around $900 per month which comes from my BRITISH government pension, what’s yours ? Some fixed incomes from retired government workers can be 80% of their highest salary. I see equipment being sold for large sums of money, how many expensive can rods or collectible reels can one person need? 
to sum up, the purpose of my OP was attempt to find a a set of Magic Tools used for a “reasonable “ price, not for cents on the dollar. 
Barry

My apologize to Steeldrifter for being a part of the bunch taking a Classified into discussions. He asked us not to do it but sometimes it just happens. Okay, hope you can find your set. I love mine and use it mostly to tie CDC collars on nymphs for added movemenet.