Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cphubert

Retired! Last day 12 June

Have a lot of mixed feelings, due to business downturns caused the china virus I am retiring (for the second time) was planning on a few more years but felt is was better than watching  younger coworkers that have other mouths to feed face a layoff. It was voluntary I have been gainfully employed since I was 12 working on other peoples farms, career Navy, and then a DOD contractor. Unsure if I will go to the house for good or look for more employment after the summer. Unsure if anyone wants to hire 65, 66 year olds who are strongly opinionated and not social butterflies, not event sure if the commander in chief, house,  wants me around 24/7, may have to spend a lot more time fishing.

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

, may have to spend a lot more time fishing.

Best idea you have mentioned!!

Get you the hat and I got a belt says  RETIRED.   It’s tough at first but you’ll figure it out.  Been back for some mill shutdowns.  Had a bad fall shoulder/wrist but still making it.   Near miss tornado, Covid crap making it hard to fish as much.   Good Luck!!!!

FC1E969D-B74C-48D6-BCA6-7C584D35AE4F.jpeg

EF65B41F-3843-4942-B86E-CEE12215D58F.png

Very nice CP! I know about the mixed feelings. I planned and saved every penny I could for my well thought out and long planned out retirement at age 50. When I turned 50 I was all set up financially to retire and I owed nobody nothing but I didnt because I loved my job and most of my co-workers. I found work is not so bad when your not stressing over how  to pay the mortgage or your kids education or how to fund your retirement. I ended up working 6 more years and officially retired at age 56. That lasted 14 hours when I accepted a position to help a friend out. Thought I'd do it for a year but I very much enjoy this job and love getting up and going to work so I'm still working. Again work is so much better when everything in life has been paid for. I'm now planning on retiring again in 3 years but I don't see myself ever not working. After this I will probably take a job working a couple days a week doing something and volunteering a couple more days a week. the COVID19 shutdown made me realize I'm still not mentally ready to stop working. Of course, not having boat ramps open and places to go is not really a fair comparison to real retirement. 

I wish you the best. Enjoy!

No, no, don't get a job at a Fly Shop.  I did that for 20+ years, and never could fish when I wanted to.  Busy season was always during the good fishing months.  I could only fish November to March.  

Congratulations on your second retirement.  I'm still waiting on my first one.  I'd planned on retiring from the USMC, but they did a force reduction and I got caught up in those lay offs. (Hence my being an EX-Marine)  I was also married to a money waster who blew through everything I made so savings were gone.

Remarried to the wonderfulest woman who has helped us build a bit of an egg.  I'm hoping to retire in a few years.  I have so many projects and hobbies I want to pursue, I don't see myself ever going back to work after I leave.  But I do agree with Poopdeck that it's easier to enjoy your job when you aren't worried about were the next house or car payment is coming from.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. We have a seasonal camp site that I could not use until I completed a 14 day quarantine (crossing state lines from pestilence infected Connecticut) I'm going to pack up and sit out the summer in the camper, fish and figure it out in the fall. Well that's my plan unless my wife directs otherwise...    No fly shop did that part time for a friend for a while, utyer you are 110% on that, I want to try to keep tying and fishing as a hobby.

When I win the Lottery, I'm retiring the day after the funds hit the bank.  Love my company and my job, but they'll just have to cope !!!

i retired in 2015.

no more 4:00am wake ups

no more getting to work early just to find a parking space

no more having to meet deadlines to get submarine cad designs and drawings out

no more meetings with navy represntatives presenting your designs

no more bosses to report to

luckily my 401k plan was substantial enough to live a good life style

best damn thing ive done

Yep, this is the first year I've been able to fish the bug hatches whenever and as late in the evening as I prefer. I think it's great. Until the virus hit I worked my old job 3 days each month. It was just right for me.

Yep. I share in those congratulations. It was tough for me to leave since our unit was more of a family but it was time. I left at 66 and it was right for me and the wife. Now my only complaint with being retired is we don't get holidays off. Always pisses me off to go to PO and they're closed for a holiday. Nobody told me I had the day off. It really took a year to so get it all together, face several parties and so longs and then moving to OK mainly for wife to join a lot of her family and escape the sub zero temps and 6 months of snowblowing.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:31 PM, cphubert said:

Have a lot of mixed feelings, due to business downturns caused the china virus I am retiring (for the second time) was planning on a few more years but felt is was better than watching  younger coworkers that have other mouths to feed face a layoff. 

I'm feeling same way, but I'm only 49 now so it'll have to be a few more years.😆  The Great Pandemic Shutdown put a lot of folks minds to retirement dreaming and plenty who returned to work with me as of late are doing just that.  Context and viral stuff sucked, but all the free time was more than really friggin' cool.  Still aiming for 55 & out, but it's market based and we'll see how it goes.

This is your first day of freedom since age 12 so congratulations and go catch some fish.  Careful around poison ivy, ticks, and (most of all) "help wanted" and "now hiring" ads.

Thanks, it is a wonderful morning, no alarm clock had a pot of coffee and relaxed around the house watching the birds on the feeders. I usually worked Saturdays and not used to fishing weekends, having the water without crowds during the early weekdays. Still unsure if I am retired or currently unemployed looking for work but leaning to the retired list.