Fly Tying

9 hours ago, Mogup said:

A brown & grizzly hackled Adams makes a much bolder impression.

That is true BUT that is not the only issue.

It is easier and faster to to size, select, and wrap a single Cree hackle than to select two matching hackles for barb length, wrap and tie both hackles.

So the choice of what to use is a practical matter. I can tie more Adams in the same time with a Cree than by using mixed Grizzly and Coachman Brown hackles. So the choice is really fewer flies tied with 2 hackles or more flies tied with one. I choose to tie more flies in the same time.

If Cree was not an effective hackle for tying an Adams, there would not be the demand Cree hackle that there is.

that is only if youre lucky enough to own cree hackles. most of us dont have that luxury and will use a brown/grizzly or barred ginger hackles

i dont tie a lot of adams so spending $$$$ for a cree neck just to be a cool tyer that has one or being put so far down on a waiting list to get one isnt really worth it. i happy to use a  brown/grizzly combo

probably most tyers that do have one keeps it locked in a safe  😀 and never really uses it except for that rare occasion

The way I got my Cree Neck and Saddle was to call Whiting years ago to see how they distributed the Cree that they had. My intent was to contact the dealers that were on their list to get Cree.

It turns out that they also put customers on a list and when they had Cree necks or saddles, they emailed the next customer on the list and sent the hackle to the nearest Whiting dealer to be sold to that customer.

So I asked to be put on the list. When my name came up, Steve Sweitzer of Whiting contacted me and said that I was next in line. He also said that the person in front of me decided NOT to buy the Cree that was offered to him and he said I could buy it if I wanted. So I said I would take both sight unseen.

It turned out that my closest dealer was a Gander Mountain sporting good store that sold Whiting 100 packs. They did not sell necks or saddles but Whiting sent them both the cape and saddle. Since Gander Mountain did not sell necks or saddles, their computer inventory system did not have a code for Whiting Necks or Saddles. The general manager of the store said that he would just charge me what Whiting charged him so I got a Cree neck and saddle for the wholesale cost of a Whiting Neck and Saddle. I think the combined cost was under $100.00

I do tie with my Cree hackles.

I was fortunate to get mine from an estate box of materials sold on eBay. There were several necks and saddles (of many different colors) in there and the pictures didn't even show the Cree very clearly. I didn't even know for sure if it was a Cree. I got the whole box for $400.01. There was thousands of dollars worth of stuff in there.

Of the three flies I posted above, I'm not sure if I could tell which one was which, if I didn't already know. Maybe the grizzly and brown one is a little bit brighter (striking) or has more contrast.

I tie with mine all the time too, if the size fly I'm tying fits the hackle on my neck. I'm sure there are thousands of flies in that neck and saddle. I don't think I'd ever use it up. I would still buy another Cree if, I could get it, for smaller flies.

12 hours ago, Mogup said:

I'm not sure if it does, look at the three I posted. It could be the tier but I'm not sure if either one of those flies stands out a lot. And like I said earlier, and SC mentioned, there are other practical issues. It's hard to say if fish will know or care about the difference in the flies but it's fun for me to tie them in all the different configurations.

Parachute Adams especially, cree vs. two hackles is no contest which is easier and cleaner tie. 

16 hours ago, Mogup said:

yup i think so too

Adams-Original-2020-1080-Semi-Front.jpg

2 hours ago, flytire said:

yup i think so too

How can we tell? We don't see frontal shots of the other two.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:24 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Adams

DSCF5461-X3.jpg

Grizzly, brown and musk rat

DSCF5468-X3.jpg

Cree Adams

DSCF5465-X3.jpg

Dark Barred Ginger Adams

"How can we tell? We don't see frontal shots of the other two."

of course we can tell

we have your reference samples for all to see 👍

41 minutes ago, breambuster said:

Flytire, if you tied the 3 Adams flies in your post, you did a great job. Excellent work.

BB

Those were mine, his is the next one up. Thank you, I think his is more excellenter than mine.

My bad. You BOUGHT did great work. Ties are all very well done. I think my eyes are getting too old for such work. Blowing up a picture like that really makes my flaws show up,

BB

Around 10 to 15 years ago I bought a #1 true Cree neck from Metz.  It was incredible.  Around 6 or 7 years ago I got a Cree from Charlie Collins and it is even more impressive.  True Cree necks are rare.  They are a genetic oddity.  Charlie Collins explained to me that you can't really "raise" as Cree neck chicken.  You get one or you don't.  They have always been a Unicorn in the fly tying world, the true Cree necks.  Some necks being peddled as Cree are not true Cree.