Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

No fish to net today. Lost a decent brown right at the net this morning. Then this evening I hooked into a massive redhorse. I've caught them to 10lbs before but this one made those look small. Fought him for 2 minutes but he kicked my butt all over the river into my backing multiple times burning my finger. Hook finally pulled on the last run. Other than that those were the only two fish today. There's always tomorrow.

Every fish has his day. I hope he's living it up today because tomorrow is yours to seize. Go get him. 

11 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

No fish to net today. Lost a decent brown right at the net this morning. Then this evening I hooked into a massive redhorse. I've caught them to 10lbs before but this one made those look small. Fought him for 2 minutes but he kicked my butt all over the river into my backing multiple times burning my finger. Hook finally pulled on the last run. Other than that those were the only two fish today. There's always tomorrow.

What is a redhorse?

SD, some days you get the bear; Other days the bear gets you.

What a great trip you're having. Keep the commentary and pictures coming

6 hours ago, skeet3t said:

SD, some days you get the bear; Other days the bear gets you.

Are there any more days after the " ... the bear gets you." day?

Some days you get chicken; Other days you get feathers.

Depends on the bear. Mike, the bear got Hugh Glass. He crawled and walked 200 miles to civilization. This was  portrayed in the movie with Richard Harrison, Man in the Wilderness.

High sun and cloudless skies are about as bad for trout fishing as you can get. 3 days without touching a fish. Can't complain about the surroundings though, the Au Sable is beautiful no matter if there's fish or not. Biggest excitement today was rescuing a turtle from the middle of the road. He was just sittin in the middle like a lump so I took him back to the river and let him go. Going to have to seriously start thinking about going home soon. After almost two weeks of fishing everyday and walking 4-5 miles from spot to spot my body is just about to give up. Rotator cuff is acting up, ankle is sore, legs are sore, neck is not all that hot either. Not a young man anymore I guess.

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Some days you get the turtle and some days your left with the mud. 

Has it been that long, already?  Boss called again, today.  "Plan on being there Monday."  Ugh. 

Why are you targeting trout on those bluebird sky days if you know they won't like it?  The Smallmouth and pike don't seem to mind those conditions, right?

I wanted to see the turtle. Take a rest for a day, check the weather and give it another try when you are less sore. These time are so few and far between.

The good smallmouth water is a bit of a distance away and with me being dropped off here I can't get to it. There are smallmouth like the one I caught last week right below the dam in the trout water, but not many. I have been fishing for them but no dice.  Yeah time flies, hard to believe it's been close to 2 weeks already. Planning on relaxing at the motel today and then head out this evening and fish till dark and see if I can't find a trout or two. Thinking about heading home tomorrow. Body aches are starting to pile up, plus I have 3-4 new rod orders so gonna have to get started on those soon.

Mark I almost took a pic of the turtle but he was big enough to have to hold with two hands. And then once I sat him down and started to dig for my camera in my pack he scurried right down into the river. Not sure what kind he was, wasn't a snapper or painted. He was about the size of a dinner plate with a yellow underside. Could have been a yellow belly slider maybe, I think we have that species here in Michigan.

Interesting about the turtle. I have fished a lake in Georgia that has produced some big soft shell turtles. We experimented. Unhook the turtle and point his head away from the lake. Invariably, the turtle will turn and head for the lake!

I told myself I was not gonna go fishing today till late this evening, guess I lied, I can't stay away fro the river 😊 Lost a smaller brown this afternoon but that was it. Gonna cool out in front of the AC at the room for the next few hours and then grab the dry fly rod and hit the evening rise.

1.jpg