Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

It's SUMMER ... in Florida.  I'm tacking this on your thread, Steve, since we just wrote about gardens and yard work.

This morning, after the grass dried a bit, I started mowing.  10:00 or so.  Then, I used the trimmer and weed whacked the house and parts of the yard I can't get on the mower.  Then I got the blower out and cleaned off the front porch, pavers and driveway.  THEN, I decided to knock the remains of a stump the City left behind when the cut one of my Oaks on the edge of my property. 

Well, that last job was one too many.  From one minute to the next, I went from "getting tired" to "I don't feel good".  Second time in my life I've suffered heat exhaustion.  Wife was coming out as I was approaching the house, and she said, "I was just coming out, since it got so quiet, to see if you were okay."  I replied, "No, I'm not doing well."  Then she noticed how I was reacting.  Got me inside, water, fans, cooling off period and I am good to go now.  But it was a good 20 minutes before I started to feel alright.

Just wanted to give everyone a little warning.  It comes on QUICK.  If you're outside alone, make sure you're paying attention to yourself.  I was hydrated/hydrating all morning.  The only warning I can look back and say, "I should've paid attention to that," was the sudden fatigue I felt just seconds before I was in trouble.

Be careful out there, y'all.

Ya gotta be careful Mike, not a young feller' anymore ;)

Heat exhaustion is no joke. I've never been full on into heat stroke, but I have had a number of times were I know I was on my way. Headache, muscle cramps, sick to stomach feeling,  no energy,  no strength. Had that happen number of times before. I use to work for UPS back in the 90's loading semi trucks and when I was in those trucks in the summer with the sun beating down on them it was 120 + degrees in them when we were loading non stop. Number of times I had those feelings of the beginning of heat exhaustion. That actually was the only time in my life I "almost" passed out. After working in the hot trucks one evening I came home after work, walked into the house and actually started to black out a bit. I didn't go fully down on the ground but I did go down to one knee and soon as I did that I vision came back. Was fine after drinking water and laying down fort a few, but it was a scary thing at the time because you don't expect that to happen when you are only 25 yrs old like I was back then.

Mike, you're not going to believe this. I was cutting the grass around my hunting/fishing camp here in N. Ontario and the temp actually hit 100. I was about 1/2 done and said to myself "I gotta get out of the sun and sit down".  About 1/2 an hour and 2 quarts of water later I stopped shaking and finished the job. The part you won't believe is 100 degree temps in the northern part of the world.😅

Guys, it is worth mentioning the flip side  here for the record.  Cold thermal shock hits hard and fast too and you can be in deep trouble w/o warning.

It has hit me several times deep wading cold spring rivers in bad weather -- conditions that wick away body core temps. You can lose the bubble and go down for the count if you ignore the warning signs -- mental drift, clumsy coordination, and loss of feeling in extremities -- and fail to warm up fast by vigorous exercise. 

Rocco

Not worth it to me, Rocco.  I will NEVER voluntarily put myself in jeopardy of going into "cold shock".  Heck, I don't even spend too much time in the freezer section of the grocery store.  Why, that's just crazy talk, right there !!!

But, of course, all joking aside, weather and conditions can kill you.  Overtly like lightning and winds, and covertly by temperature.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, mikechell said:

It's SUMMER ... in Florida.  I'm tacking this on your thread, Steve, since we just wrote about gardens and yard work.

This morning, after the grass dried a bit, I started mowing.  10:00 or so.  Then, I used the trimmer and weed whacked the house and parts of the yard I can't get on the mower.  Then I got the blower out and cleaned off the front porch, pavers and driveway.  THEN, I decided to knock the remains of a stump the City left behind when the cut one of my Oaks on the edge of my property. 

Well, that last job was one too many.  From one minute to the next, I went from "getting tired" to "I don't feel good".  Second time in my life I've suffered heat exhaustion.  Wife was coming out as I was approaching the house, and she said, "I was just coming out, since it got so quiet, to see if you were okay."  I replied, "No, I'm not doing well."  Then she noticed how I was reacting.  Got me inside, water, fans, cooling off period and I am good to go now.  But it was a good 20 minutes before I started to feel alright.

Just wanted to give everyone a little warning.  It comes on QUICK.  If you're outside alone, make sure you're paying attention to yourself.  I was hydrated/hydrating all morning.  The only warning I can look back and say, "I should've paid attention to that," was the sudden fatigue I felt just seconds before I was in trouble.

Be careful out there, y'all.

You should done what I do, forget the yard work and just go fishing. All that other stuff can kill you.

Mark, did you ever get out to the river at 6:00 AM and by the time you launched your boat you are already soaked to the bone in humidity induced sweat. That's fishing in the south in the summer and florida makes the rest of the south feel like Alaska (at least what I envision Alaska to feel like.)  I'd rather be home (in PA) doing yard work, minus the stump removal. 

3 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Mark, did you ever get out to the river at 6:00 AM and by the time you launched your boat you are already soaked to the bone in humidity induced sweat. That's fishing in the south in the summer and florida makes the rest of the south feel like Alaska (at least what I envision Alaska to feel like.)  I'd rather be home (in PA) doing yard work, minus the stump removal. 

Yes, and worse, I'll tell you about it sometime. And yet, I was still able to convince myself I was still having fun. 😁 We're funny that way.

Here's a teaser, I've broken a knee cap on my remote trap line, been paralyzed, had hypothermia several times, dislocated an ankle and other stuff. I'm told I should write it all down. I think I will.

Played 27 holes at the local golf course. Wound up in the ER as I was dehydrated. Nurse said that plain water doesn't replace the minerals needed for proper function. Powerade or Gatorade supplies them. Wife is going to the store to cash in on a sale of Powerade. Keep it on hand for any outside work.

Probably why a round of golf is only EIGHTEEN holes.  That extra half round you played proved it.

Main point here, kids, is don't think "That won't happen to me."

Also- back in the early days, my wife passed out in the parking lot of a mall in Daytona Beach. Wound up in the ER. Fortunately, her sister is a nurse and was with her. Has to be very careful with heat now.

Steve, could you get the recipe for Mom's hard icing? Got a craving! Thanks.

3 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I totally forgot about that, glad you mentioned it. I'll get it from her today and message it over to you.

I don't forget anything about food. With the quarantine, the wife had been trying all kinds of recipes. Weight has stayed the same except when moving a dirt pile to fill in where the pool was. Brother-in-law used cut up tortillas for chicken and dumplings...real good and saves time making the dumplings from scratch.