Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Dave's Hopper Foam Body

Guys,

I am looking to increase the float factor with my Dave's Hoppers.  I have seen a few images of with them tied with foam versus yellow yarn.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction for a good foam and if possible the technique for tying it in?

Thanks Much!!

Hi you want plaszote foam about 2mm- 3mm thick the shape you need to cut is v shape the width of the foam as a guide 1/8" depending on the size of hopper you require as a guide to length what ever size hook you are tying on the rule of thumb for length of foam is from the start of the bend of hook shank after tying in the v shaped end at the start of the bend of the hook wind the thread forward to about an 1/8" away from the hook eye then wind the thread back to where you tied in the foam tie in a rib 5lb/lbs nylon to rib the foam then dub some running on the thread for the body  that gets you started  then check out you tube to see how to tie the hopper pattern you want to tie as there are many patterns happy tying

Kind regards Steve 😉

This one uses a foam cylinder or something like Rainy’s Float Foam; I’d think they slit it down the middle and tied it on top of the (Superglued) shank, then ribbed with hackle.

Regards,
Scott

2mm Fly foam. For a foam Dave's, I'd tie in the tail and then wrap the foam the same way you would the yellow yarn. 

On 6/9/2020 at 7:33 AM, Gundriver64 said:

Guys,

I am looking to increase the float factor with my Dave's Hoppers.  I have seen a few images of with them tied with foam versus yellow yarn.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction for a good foam and if possible the technique for tying it in?

Thanks Much!!

Here's something to think about when tying and fishing Dave's Hopper. Don't you think there is a reason Dave Whitlock designed his hooper as he did?

Whenever you want to make a major change in a pattern, and I think changing from dubbing to foam is major, you need to consider why the fly designer used dubbing in the first place and why you think foam would be better for what you want to do,

Real grasshoppers DO NOT float like foam patterns. Real grasshoppers sink into the water and they sit LOW in the water until they eventually drown.

IMG_5934.JPG

grasshopper_in_water_by_parrotdolphin.jp

Mike Lawson says:

"The pattern you use is very important when fishing hoppers and crickets on spring creeks. Large, high-floating flies designed for visibility usually won't work very well. Natural grasshoppers float in the surface film, not on it, sort of like an iceberg. These days every good fly tier has his own hopper pattern so there are lots of good ones available. My favorite is still the one I developed almost 25 years ago, before there were so many other great patterns to choose from. Its called the Henry's Fork Hopper and incorporates the use of elk hair to form the bullet shaped head and segmented body. It floats low in the surface film exactly like a natural. I tie it in several color variations as well as a black cricket pattern. Another consideration with regard to fly pattern is the size of the fly. I believe small hoppers will be much more productive on spring creek waters than large ones."

https://books.google.com/books?id=olNrQEpheMAC&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=Large,+high-floating+flies+designed+for+visibility+usually+won't+work+very+well&source=bl&ots=A1IY4km0-W&sig=-NnmzsrOK4sg3tFMIT9rcpqkd2Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL4e-nsvXSAhUCzmMKHQVuBhYQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=Large%2C high-floating flies designed for visibility usually won't work very well&f=false

"Over the years I have had similar experiences on other rivers and have many times converted the fishless floating grasshopper and cricket patterns to deadly sinking patterns by letting them get soggy. Foam hoppers require split shot, but even then they don't look as appealing beneath the surface as a Dave's Hopper, a Letort Hopper, or a Letort Cricket."

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/trout-fishing/where-fish-trout/2012/07/use-grasshopper-and-cricket-patterns-catch-y

"Terrestrial insects are not designed to float," said George Kesel, who owned Missoula's Four Rivers Fly Shop until it closed this spring. "When they hit the water, unless the surface film catches them, they go straight through. Whereas caddis and stoneflies and mayflies, they've all evolved to float."

And Kesel has another unique - at least to me - suggestion. He likes to fish grasshoppers, as well as ants and beetles, beneath the surface, like a nymph.

Cox has tried the same tactic.

"I've done that in the swirlies quite a bit, in the foam eddies, and it's pretty effective," Cox said. "When I move into food collection areas, it can be very good."

"Buy a grasshopper without a post, without any strike indicators to it," he said. "Make sure it's a low floater, coat it with something to make it sink and then fish it just like you would a nymph."

"When you are casting your terrestrials in August and early September, the bug life in the water is minimal," Kesel said. "That means that those fish are looking for anything that's food. How many ants do you think are walking around this area? They're falling in the water all the time. That's why it works."

I've been following this thread with interest.  I don't tie that many hoppers.  Lot of streams I fish are in wooded areas and I don't see any hoppers on the water.  One of things I do with most of my foam patterns, mainly beetles and crickets in this case is tie them on streamer hooks rather than on the standard dry fly hopper hooks.    One thing it does is helps the fly land hook down, rather than hook up but it also helps them to sit, lower in the water.  Just a thought.

I use foam for everything that I want to float.  I don't think ANY of my foam flies float ON the water's surface.  The foam floats better, longer and perhaps a little higher, but it's still sitting in the surface film, not on it.  Most of them sit about half out/half in ... like the first picture of the grasshopper silver posted.