Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Espo66

Fly ID Help - Updated!

Hi all,

Been bitten (no pun) by the fly tying bug recently. My dad was into FF, he passed away a year ago last month. Due to failing health, I would say his flies are mostly circa 60s-90s, he didn't fish much after about 2004. Maybe these patterns are passe now, I can identify the obvious Adams and Woolly Buggers and such, but having a hard time with lots of them. 

I know I'm throwing a lot of pictures at you all here, and I have read a bunch of books...as I said I can maybe ID like half of them. Was hoping for any and all help, if you know the pattern name and if Wet or Dry. I would greatly appreciate any you can or feel like naming. I want to start tying to fill in the gaps.

TY!!

Larry

1. Streamer Box - Mostly done! Thanks to all

Flies_StreamersFull.jpg

1. A - Spread these out for easier identification

Flies_SalmonFull.jpg

1(B) Closeups

Flies_Salmon1CU.jpg

1 (c)

Flies_Salmon2CU.jpg

1 (D)

Flies_Salmon3CU.thumb.jpg.1ff7744dcce5434d2d9adc328261842f.jpg

1 ((E)

Flies_BassCU.thumb.jpg.45ad165a9ce4a915ea3897b1485683eb.jpg

2. Lots of progress on the Dry Flys

FliesDry_Full.jpg

2 (B) Closeup of some of the ones not named

FliesDry_undetermined2.jpg

2. (c) (B) Closeup of some of the ones not named

FliesDry_undetermined1.jpg

3. (a) Closeups of some of the nymphs and wets

FliesWet_CU5.jpg

3 (b) (a) Closeups of some of the nymphs and wets

FliesWet_CU6.jpg

3 (c) (a) Closeups of some of the nymphs and wets

FliesWet_CU3.jpg

3 (d) (a) Closeups of some of the nymphs and wets

FliesWet_CU4.jpg

4. Nymphs and Wet Box

FliesWet_Full.jpg

4 (a)

FliesWet_CU2.jpg

4 (b)

FliesWet_CU1.jpg

4 (c)Would really love to know what this is, there is a whole box of them!

Flies_size4CU.thumb.jpg.ff99e1a0d46445ca4741859c8aee604e.jpg

Welcome to the site. 

I edited your post, assigning number to each picture.  This way, if anyone's got ideas on your flies, they can just reference the picture number rather than saying ... "Third one from the top." etc.

Picture 3 and 15 are the same picture.

Picture 5 and 16 are the same picture.

17 and 18 are the same picture, if we remove the doubles it will be easier.

Sorry, Espo66.  I don't go around editing people's post.  I thought I was helping, but it's only brought up complaints.

Again, welcome to the site.  I hope you get more helpful replies.

Picture 5, 3 row left are hair wing royal coachmen. anything with a similar body of peacock herl and red floss are royal coachman variants.

Picture 5, 4th row left except the first one are light Cahills.

Norm is right, the job is formidable. Most of these are classics, if it were me, I'd get a copy of the Orvis index of flies and match them up in there.

8 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Sorry, Espo66.  I don't go around editing people's post.  I thought I was helping, but it's only brought up complaints.

Again, welcome to the site.  I hope you get more helpful replies.

Don't be sorry, it does help, sorry for causing any confusion, looks like my pics duplicated after I said "Thanks again"..

And thanks for the welcome!

14 minutes ago, flytire said:

Too many flies, too many photos and not enough time to name individual flies

9 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Norm is right, the job is formidable. Most of these are classics, if it were me, I'd get a copy of the Orvis index of flies and match them up in there.

To be clear, please don't think I expect someone to sit there and type it all out, just thought the naming of whatever you can or feel like would help.

Mark - TY for what you have named so far. I did/have gone to many of the big fly selling sites to browse w/o much luck. I have an older circa 90s book that helped, it is mostly geared toward Europe though, but I was able to see things like the long nose dace and royal coachman. I recently subscribed to Kindle unlimited and have taken out a bunch of fly fishing books. Really like the Barr book and the Hughes book. Definetely need to do a hare's pheasant tail and copper john and many others, did tie 2 that were failures. :). Also love some of the modern streamers..When I started to organize my dads collection, I was like "What the heck is this and how do I fish it", so I thought if anyone would know, it would be you guys.

I will look into the Orvis index to see if I have more luck.

17 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Picture 7 

Irresistables AKA Rat Face McDougalls

My memory sucks, plus I've crammed a bunch of reading into the last month. I knew I saw them somewhere, love the name, they are pretty ratty looking!

26 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Picture 5, bottom row left, red tail black gnats.

Mark, you're a huge fly naming helping machine! I suspected they were gnats, thanks for confirming.

Hi perhaps your local tackle could you over a period of time when your buying tackle perhaps when the tackle dealer isn't busy  looking at one particular photograph the hook's the flies where tied on I would hazard a guess that they were salmon or steelhead flies the hooks look like low water salmon hooks the wings on the flies is hair. There is also some traditional wet flies nymphs winged caddis dry flies it's a very big collection of flies and will take some time to go through your collection some of the flies might be pattern's that your dad developed  perhaps you could ask your fellow angles for help by going through your boxes one at a time each fishing trip take one box out with you ? Hope this helps

Kind regards Steve 😎