Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Espo66

Fly ID Help - Updated!

The bees, I think, are McGinty's.  #4  bottom row on right, look like Hornbergs, #6 the short red tailed  flies are woolly worms, #5 third row down on left are 3 royal wulffs. 

Nice collection your Dad left you there.  

15 minutes ago, steve sparkie said:

Hi perhaps your local tackle could you over a period of time when your buying tackle perhaps when the tackle dealer isn't busy  looking at one particular photograph the hook's the flies where tied on I would hazard a guess that they were salmon or steelhead flies the hooks look like low water salmon hooks the wings on the flies is hair. There is also some traditional wet flies nymphs winged caddis dry flies it's a very big collection of flies and will take some time to go through your collection some of the flies might be pattern's that your dad developed  perhaps you could ask your fellow angles for help by going through your boxes one at a time each fishing trip take one box out with you ? Hope this helps

Kind regards Steve 😎

Thanks Steve. My dad has a good friend who owns a local gun store, with some fishing stuff, good guy, my dad worked there sometimes. Went to see if he had any Fly tying vises, he said he hates fly fishing..LOL. There is a Bass Pro shop local to me, no mom and pop Fly shops I know of. BTW, I'm in southern CT. Hi everyone! Been fishing the local Mill river and a reseviour a couple towns over. Mostly was a bass fisherman in the past. When I was young, dad would set me up with my Mitchell 900 spinning outfit while he flshed flies. Wish I was able to pick his brain about it more now that I'm into it. The Salmon flies are a mystery, as there are no Salmon of any numbers around here.

As for fellow anglers, everyone I work with is a golfer! :)

8 minutes ago, niveker said:

The bees, I think, are McGinty's.  #4  bottom row on right, look like Hornbergs, #6 the short red tailed  flies are woolly worms, #5 third row down on left are 3 royal wulffs. 

Nice collection your Dad left you there.  

Glad mikechell numbered my pics! This is great, thank you, you gave me some names to look up, I don't believe I heard of "Hornbergs". He really liked that Bee pattern, will look into McGinty.

Someone mentioned patterns he developed, no, he never tied flies.

In addition to the fly collection, he also left some really nice rods and reels:

Scott 505 754
Orvis Rocky Mountain
Sage sp 589-5
St Croix 4302
St Croix Ledgend Series L9010

Orvis Battenkill 5/6  
Abel Big Game Pt .5
Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 
Redington AL 9/10
Browning Model 1230

Been doing my best to clean and maintain the gear, spooling up with new line and backing, and most importantly use.

The only one I recognized without doing research is in the upper right hand corner of the first picture.  It's a Green Weenie.  It has the chenille loop at back.  Your dad must have known someone from PA.  It's a PA fly.  Some say it imitates a green inch worm in the unweighted version.  The weighted version with a black bead head is a good imitation of a Green Rock Worm.  It may be the easiest pattern  to tie.  It works for trout, pan fish, even bass.  It was invented by a couple of guys from Westmoreland County in PA, Ken Igo and Russ Mowry.  It was popularized by Charlie Meck in his book "Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches".

14 minutes ago, Philly said:

The only one I recognized without doing research is in the upper right hand corner of the first picture.  It's a Green Weenie.  It has the chenille loop at back.  Your dad must have known someone from PA.  It's a PA fly.  Some say it imitates a green inch worm in the unweighted version.  The weighted version with a black bead head is a good imitation of a Green Rock Worm.  It may be the easiest pattern  to tie.  It works for trout, pan fish, even bass.  It was invented by a couple of guys from Westmoreland County in PA, Ken Igo and Russ Mowry.  It was popularized by Charlie Meck in his book "Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches".

Cool, thanks Philly. I love the history behind the patterns and the who/what and where it came into use. I would venture to guess our fishing water in CT are somewhat similar to yours in PA.

I've never fished in CT.  I spent two years in New London when I was in the Navy back in the late 60's.   I imagine Southern CT is similar to SE PA, the 5 county Philadelphia area where I live. Most of the streams are stocked.  There's one wild trout stream in Valley Forge National Park about 40 minutes from my house.   There are probably a few streams that remain unnamed and guarded secrets by those that fish them in the Northern and Western parts of the suburban counties that hold wild fish.  Even rumors of brook trout in some of them.  It's a good area for warm water fishing and salt water is about an hour away at Jersey shore.  

Here's what I got, sorry if it repeats some of the other answers:

Picture 2 The "grassopper" is a Letort cricket

Picture 3 The "bee" is a McGinty

Picture 4 the white flies in the middle are White Millers, the bottom row have some Hornbergs on the right

Picture 5 The third row left are Royal Wulffs

Picture 6 The middle of the top row are Gray Ghosts, next to them (below the tab) are woolly worms The bucktail in the tab above the woolly worms is a Mickey Finn

Picture 7 Irresistibles/Rar Face McDougal (same fly, but has different names)

Picture 8 The flat wing streamer is probably a Joe's Smelt, but I can't really tell without seeing the body.  Id could also be a Wood Special

Picture 11 Row above the elk hair caddis includes a standard Coachman (white wing) and possible a Leadwing Coachman next to it.

Picture 12 The second row starts with a Royal Coachman wet, with a Royal Coachman dry next to it

Picture 14 is all winged wet flies, but hard to id from the photo, some are possibly unnamed.

Many of the flies in all the photos are hard to identify from the top; it's the bodies that distinguish them.

On number 8 the red and white streamer type thing might be the type of flies you use when pulling flies for walleye. Wolf river rigs to be exact. The ones next to that could be hornberg variations. 

15 hours ago, Espo66 said:

Thanks Steve. My dad has a good friend who owns a local gun store, with some fishing stuff, good guy, my dad worked there sometimes. Went to see if he had any Fly tying vises, he said he hates fly fishing..LOL. There is a Bass Pro shop local to me, no mom and pop Fly shops I know of. BTW, I'm in southern CT. Hi everyone! Been fishing the local Mill river and a reseviour a couple towns over. Mostly was a bass fisherman in the past. When I was young, dad would set me up with my Mitchell 900 spinning outfit while he flshed flies. Wish I was able to pick his brain about it more now that I'm into it. The Salmon flies are a mystery, as there are no Salmon of any numbers around here.

As for fellow anglers, everyone I work with is a golfer! :)

The salmon flies may have been used on the Shetucket or Naugatuck rivers both offered brood stock fishing programs in Connecticut (unsure how long that will continue into the future) with the Connecticut river salmon restoration project that was defunded by the fed's. Or NY steelhead trips? Maine had Atlantic Salmon fishing in the recent past but has been closed due to low returns endangered listings. Your father may have fished or planned to fish the Maritimes some great fishing within driving distance from CT, the only province that most think of is New Brunswick but Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island all have scheduled salmon rivers.

19 hours ago, Philly said:

I've never fished in CT.  I spent two years in New London when I was in the Navy back in the late 60's.   I imagine Southern CT is similar to SE PA, the 5 county Philadelphia area where I live. Most of the streams are stocked.  There's one wild trout stream in Valley Forge National Park about 40 minutes from my house.   There are probably a few streams that remain unnamed and guarded secrets by those that fish them in the Northern and Western parts of the suburban counties that hold wild fish.  Even rumors of brook trout in some of them.  It's a good area for warm water fishing and salt water is about an hour away at Jersey shore.  

There are most certainly brookies around here, so say some anglers I have run into. You're right about closely guarded spots!

18 hours ago, redietz said:

Here's what I got, sorry if it repeats some of the other answers:

Picture 2 The "grassopper" is a Letort cricket

Picture 3 The "bee" is a McGinty

Picture 4 the white flies in the middle are White Millers, the bottom row have some Hornbergs on the right

Picture 5 The third row left are Royal Wulffs

Picture 6 The middle of the top row are Gray Ghosts, next to them (below the tab) are woolly worms The bucktail in the tab above the woolly worms is a Mickey Finn

Picture 7 Irresistibles/Rar Face McDougal (same fly, but has different names)

Picture 8 The flat wing streamer is probably a Joe's Smelt, but I can't really tell without seeing the body.  Id could also be a Wood Special

Picture 11 Row above the elk hair caddis includes a standard Coachman (white wing) and possible a Leadwing Coachman next to it.

Picture 12 The second row starts with a Royal Coachman wet, with a Royal Coachman dry next to it

Picture 14 is all winged wet flies, but hard to id from the photo, some are possibly unnamed.

Many of the flies in all the photos are hard to identify from the top; it's the bodies that distinguish them.

wow, this was a hugely helpful post TY!!!

9 hours ago, flytire said:

@Espo66

were are you at in southern connecticut

i'm in norwich

Hi flytire,

I'm in Trumbull. Do you ever get down this way?

8 hours ago, cphubert said:

The salmon flies may have been used on the Shetucket or Naugatuck rivers both offered brood stock fishing programs in Connecticut (unsure how long that will continue into the future) with the Connecticut river salmon restoration project that was defunded by the fed's. Or NY steelhead trips? Maine had Atlantic Salmon fishing in the recent past but has been closed due to low returns endangered listings. Your father may have fished or planned to fish the Maritimes some great fishing within driving distance from CT, the only province that most think of is New Brunswick but Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island all have scheduled salmon rivers.

Thanks for the info. The efforts, I believe, were after my dad stopped fishing, but I'm sure he was dreaming of a road trip up north. Most of the feedback I have heard from CT is that the Salmon efforts have not taken hold very well, and there are obstacles (damming of rivers) and such that makes it hard for them to spawn or follow their natural instincts. I have heard of some success...a shame, would love salmon fishing to be local!

6 hours ago, Espo66 said:

Thanks for the info. The efforts, I believe, were after my dad stopped fishing, but I'm sure he was dreaming of a road trip up north. Most of the feedback I have heard from CT is that the Salmon efforts have not taken hold very well, and there are obstacles (damming of rivers) and such that makes it hard for them to spawn or follow their natural instincts. I have heard of some success...a shame, would love salmon fishing to be local!

Espo66 salmon fishing in CT is alive and well for the moment. CT DEEP releases the brood stock from the salmon restoration project in two rivers and 3 or 4 lakes annually in the fall after the spawn milking. I travel north as salmon is my favorite gamefish and release everything up north for their spawning efforts., but will kill a few fish in CT. The fall season starts with catch and release until December then a 1 fish per day season until they are gone. They have discussed extending the catch and release longer we will have to wait and see. The rivers chosen are due to the fact they are dammed to hold the fish from escaping into the wild.  So true about the efforts to restore the Connecticut river and its tributary's to a wild salmon. I am a life member of the Connecticut River Salmon Association  as well as the Atlantic Salmon Federation and have watched with sorrow as the returns and project died a slow death. Some get excited seeing a wild salmon reed in the Farmington river but it is most likely the last of a few fishes efforts.   Can only hope that nature has a way of fixing what we destroyed, but the stocks are in danger all the way through salmo salar's current waters.